Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question ac/heating return vent

A few years ago, I had my house retrofitted with a whole house ac
system. The evaporator/heater unit is located in the second floor of
my house. It is a 4 ton unit for a 1700 square foot house. The
system works well except for one annoying thing. Because the return
vent is located on the door where the evaporator/heater unit is
located, the second floor is the coolest spot in the house during the
ac season, and the hottest part of house during heating season. Of
course, the first floor is either warmer or cooler than the second
floor depending on the season.

It would seem that a second return on the first floor is the most
logical solution, but I am sure there are many complications. One of
the most obvious ones is that there is no easy way of getting return
"pipe" to the first floor... especially for the ac that requires a
large diameter pipe as compared to pipe for heating.

Are there any websites that may discuss the options for "return
systems" in a household? Thank you in advance for any thoughts you
may share
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 4:26 pm, alkon wrote:
[...]

About the only advice I have is, supposing this unit is in a closet
and you have room.Check the joists in the floor.If they are solid
joist spaces then you have a chase for your return air.If you have the
law of attraction going for you and your fortunate enough. You then
have two places for your returns through out the chase.If the joists
allow for air to go through then you might have a place to go straight
down into the ceiling.Thats only if you have the room by the unit and
if it will be in a sutable place. [At all costs don't put a return in
the bathroom.] One only has to think about it for a moment to
realize how much suffering would develop out of that. You will need
a 14 in. duct.Thats if hopefully, you have the room.If not and you
just want constant temprature through out the house you could vent the
attic a little more.

Hope this helps.
Country
Posted to alt.home.repair

Country wrote:

On Dec 13, 4:26 pm, alkon wrote:

[...]

HO says, Return Air grille is in the door of the heating equipment room.
Even if it is electric heat, the Return Air is normally sealed from the
heating equipment area!
The Return chamber is usually under the equipment area.
If it is a gas or oil furnace, code requires an absolute seal between
the Return Air & the furnace area! - udarrell . com

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES & WISDOM Principled PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT

http://www.udarrell.com/ (Updated Again)
NO attacks on Iran - NO severe economic sanctions, negotiate peace!

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm (A page full of links to my pages.)

How Obama & Edwards can Win over Hillary in the Iowa caucuses
http://www.udarrell.com/iowa_primary...s_speeches.htm

It is time to IDENTIFY THE REAL ENEMIES OF HUMANITY and create a "DEPARTMENT OF PEACE - HR 808)" that will preempt the Department of War, - camouflaged as the Department of Defense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...tment_of_Peace

How much can your Constructive Wisdom Principled Communicated Ideas be worth to America & the world; Trillions?

If President Bush "unjustifiably" bombs the huge number (hundreds) of identified targets in Iran, there could be an oil shortage causing a global economic catastrophe. Could your effective communications stop this tragedy from happening? How many LIVES & TRILLIONS of Dollars would that save & be worth?

There's nothing more unjust or terrorizing than modern warfare & it is totally self-defeating. He now has 30,000-lb 15-ton Depleted Uranium (DU) Bunker Busting bombs, the DU has a life of 4.5 billion deadly years and causes cancer & chromsome damage resulting in horrid unbelievable genocidal birth deformities.

Iran is NO immediate threat & could be a friend of America; leave Iran alone! NO economic sanctions either! Military actions & economic sanctions are fundamentally self-defeatng & extremely costly in every human dimension.

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to ACCEPT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 4:26 pm, alkon wrote:
[...]

Maybe you need more suplies downstairs or cut down the second floor
vents, but check the maximum temp of the furnace so you dont exceed
its specifications or get another pro out for ideas