Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Question

I replaced a 110 volt outlet and ran an additional outlet from it. Now my vm
says I have 110volts but nothing works when I plug into it. So I removed the
second outlet while checking to make sure I had wired correctly, tested the
outlet - vm says I have voltage but nothing I plug in works. Please guide me
O wise ones......

TIA,
Kim and Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
I replaced a 110 volt outlet and ran an additional outlet from it. Now my vm
says I have 110volts but nothing works when I plug into it.

Which "it"-the one you replaced or the one you added?

So I removed the
second outlet while checking to make sure I had wired correctly,

Describe what you consider to be "correctly"

tested the outlet

Which outlet-the one you replaced or the one you added?

- vm says I have voltage but nothing I plug in works. Please guide me
O wise ones......

TIA,
Kim and Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

How many wires, and what color were attached to the original outlet, and how
did you reattach them to the replacement outlet?

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
I replaced a 110 volt outlet and ran an additional outlet from it. Now my
vm
says I have 110volts but nothing works when I plug into it. So I removed
the
second outlet while checking to make sure I had wired correctly, tested
the
outlet - vm says I have voltage but nothing I plug in works. Please guide
me
O wise ones......

TIA,
Kim and Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 4:44 pm, "Scott" wrote:
I replaced a 110 volt outlet and ran an additional outlet from it. Now my vm
says I have 110volts but nothing works when I plug into it. So I removed the
second outlet while checking to make sure I had wired correctly, tested the
outlet - vm says I have voltage but nothing I plug in works. Please guide me
O wise ones......

TIA,
Kim and Tim

Check Neutral wire and hot wire with volt-meter.Make sure your reading
a/c voltage.If you pig-tailed any connections check those to see if
your moving them when you try to get a reading.If you replaced the
home run (wire back to the panel) check thats its connected to the
neutral bar and not the ground bar if they're seperate.The way it
sounds though you just have a bad connection and your not reading feed
back.
Hope this fixes ya.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:44:45 -0500, "Scott"
wrote:

I replaced a 110 volt outlet and ran an additional outlet from it. Now my vm
says I have 110volts but nothing works when I plug into it. So I removed the
second outlet while checking to make sure I had wired correctly, tested the
outlet - vm says I have voltage but nothing I plug in works. Please guide me
O wise ones......

TIA,
Kim and Tim

Besides the other suggestions, measure the voltage BOTH without and
with a load connected. A significant change indicates a wiring
problem.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only thing that comes to my mind is if you hooked up a GFCI
outlet, you wired it reversed such that you put the feed on the "load"
wires, wheras it's suppose to be on the "line" wires. Or perhaps you
did wire it correctly, but you have to press the reset button on the
outlet. Again, this is only you are hooking up a GFCI.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I replaced a 110 volt outlet and ran an additional outlet from it. Now
my vm says I have 110volts but nothing works when I plug into it. So I
removed the second outlet while checking to make sure I had wired
correctly, tested the outlet - vm says I have voltage but nothing I
plug in works.

My first guess would be a bad connection, or incorrect wiring at the first
outlet. You should really connect the wires together with a pigtail for the
existing outlet, rather than daisy chaining through that outlet to power
the next one.

Turn off the power, then go back to the first outlet and remove the wires
from the outlet. Cut three short wires (black, white, ground) about 6"
long. Use a wire nut to connect the incoming black wire, the black wire
running to your new outlet, and the short 6" black wire. Then use another
nut to connect the three white wires, and another nut to connect the three
ground wires. Now connect the other end of the three short wires to your
outlet, making sure the black wire connects to the "hot" terminal of your
outlet, and the white connects to the "neutral" side. Most outlets tell
right on them which color wire goes where. You can then connect the wires
up on your new outlet.

You may also want to check if the metal tab between the two screws on each
side of the outlet has been broken away. This would isolate the two halves
of the outlet, making one half appear "dead". Replace the outlet if that's
the case.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 13, 9:51 am, HerHusband wrote:

snip

Turn off the power, then go back to the first outlet and remove the wires
from the outlet. Cut three short wires (black, white, ground) about 6"
long. Use a wire nut to connect the incoming black wire, the black wire
running to your new outlet, and the short 6" black wire. Then use another
nut to connect the three white wires, and another nut to connect the three
ground wires. Now connect the other end of the three short wires to your
outlet, making sure the black wire connects to the "hot" terminal of your
outlet, and the white connects to the "neutral" side. Most outlets tell
right on them which color wire goes where. You can then connect the wires
up on your new outlet.

snip

Nice description of pigtailing, Anthony. And let's also mention cheap
backstabber outlets as a big offender in flaky circuits. G

Joe

Electrical Question Joe Home Repair 16 June 19th 06 10:36 PM
Electrical Question Bill Davis Jr Woodworking 24 October 21st 05 03:40 AM
electrical question Tony Metalworking 8 April 23rd 05 05:18 PM
Electrical question JackRabbit Home Repair 10 February 20th 05 03:55 AM
another electrical question alan UK diy 8 September 29th 03 12:11 AM