Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Save desilvering mirror edges?

I have a large wall mirror in our bathroom, secured with the usual
clips. In places the bottom has desilvering or blackening about 1.5
inches up from the edge.

I intend to cover the edges with wood framing to hide the bad spots,
but it would be good to find a way of "stopping the rot." Does anyone
have experience with a product I can safely use to seal the bad parts
of the silvering before I cover them?

Thanks, Alexander.
(My mail is at shaw.ca and you can call me fony.)
Alexander
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 18:12:47 GMT, Alexander Miller Alex@. wrote:

I have a large wall mirror in our bathroom, secured with the usual
clips. In places the bottom has desilvering or blackening about 1.5
inches up from the edge.

I intend to cover the edges with wood framing to hide the bad spots,
but it would be good to find a way of "stopping the rot." Does anyone
have experience with a product I can safely use to seal the bad parts
of the silvering before I cover them?

Thanks, Alexander.
(My mail is at shaw.ca and you can call me fony.)
Alexander

The mirror was not properly sealed and it will continue to decay over
time. Replacement seems most practical and probably most economical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Alexander Miller wrote:
I have a large wall mirror in our bathroom, secured with the usual
clips. In places the bottom has desilvering or blackening about 1.5
inches up from the edge.

I intend to cover the edges with wood framing to hide the bad spots,
but it would be good to find a way of "stopping the rot." Does anyone
have experience with a product I can safely use to seal the bad parts
of the silvering before I cover them?

Thanks, Alexander.
(My mail is at shaw.ca and you can call me fony.)
Alexander

For what it is worth, I had the same thing happen and used fingernail
polish to stop the progress of the de-silvering. I think I had read it
was moisture that was the culprit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:

:: For what it is worth, I had the same thing happen and used fingernail
:olish to stop the progress of the de-silvering. I think I had read it
::was moisture that was the culprit.

Alexander

I applied it something like twenty years ago, and there has been no
further deterioration of the silvering. Was it luck or the the nail
polish? I don't know, but I am betting on the nail polish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alexander Miller" Alex@. wrote in message
I have a large wall mirror in our bathroom, secured with the usual
clips. In places the bottom has desilvering or blackening about 1.5
inches up from the edge.

I intend to cover the edges with wood framing to hide the bad spots,
but it would be good to find a way of "stopping the rot." Does anyone
have experience with a product I can safely use to seal the bad parts
of the silvering before I cover them?

Thanks, Alexander.
(My mail is at shaw.ca and you can call me fony.)
Alexander

krylon clear spray lacquer

it's caused by any number of things, but mostly because of something
slightly acidic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alexander Miller wrote:

I have a large wall mirror in our bathroom, secured with the usual
clips. In places the bottom has desilvering or blackening about 1.5
inches up from the edge.

I intend to cover the edges with wood framing to hide the bad spots,
but it would be good to find a way of "stopping the rot." Does anyone
have experience with a product I can safely use to seal the bad parts
of the silvering before I cover them?

Thanks, Alexander.
(My mail is at shaw.ca and you can call me fony.)
Alexander

We have the same with large wall mirrors in baths which have bottom edge
of mirror sitting
on the top of the backsplash behind sink. I'm sure the problem is
condensation running down mirror and then
wicking in behind the mirror. I would get the mirror as dry as possible
and then run some clear silicone caulk along the edges.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 9, 1:12 pm, Alexander Miller Alex@. wrote:
I have a large wall mirror in our bathroom, secured with the usual
clips. In places the bottom has desilvering or blackening about 1.5
inches up from the edge.

I intend to cover the edges with wood framing to hide the bad spots,
but it would be good to find a way of "stopping the rot." Does anyone
have experience with a product I can safely use to seal the bad parts
of the silvering before I cover them?

It will not stop unless the bad part is cut off. I would take it to
glass shop have them cut off 2 inches, sand the edge and seal the
entire mirror. Shouldn't charge you too much. Actually if you get
lucky the guy in the shop would do this for a tip, $10 or so. Just
have him come out and take a look at it BEFORE going in the office. He
might just do you a favor instead of making a ticket on it. If you get
it cut don't forget you will have to lower your top clips. (if you
were my neighbor, I would do it for free G)