Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Romex or seperate conductors?

I`m planing on running An electric line from the house to a shed. It
will be in buried in conduit. Can I pull romex through the conduit or
should I use individual conductors? Is stranded wire or solid best?
Thanks all

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You cannot run romex, as a buried conduit is considered a "wet" location and
the conductors in romex are type THHN, which is not listed for wet
locations. You can use stranded or solid THWN conductors. I prefer stranded,
as they're easier to pull

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
I`m planing on running An electric line from the house to a shed. It
will be in buried in conduit. Can I pull romex through the conduit or
should I use individual conductors? Is stranded wire or solid best?
Thanks all

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm guessing (since it's a shed) you are adding only one circuit.

If so, you can pull like a 12/2 or 14/2 uf wire through your conduit.

I do this sometimes.

It gives two levels of protection.

The uf wire is water proof on it's own and the conduit protects it
from shovels and other things that may cut it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 07:19:49 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

You cannot run romex, as a buried conduit is considered a "wet" location and
the conductors in romex are type THHN, which is not listed for wet
locations. You can use stranded or solid THWN conductors. I prefer stranded,
as they're easier to pull

While I agree with not using standard romex underground. and suggest
using UF instead, I did run a line from my garage to a shed (about 15
ft.) underground. and used romex. That was a few years ago and it
works fine. However, I used PVC conduit, and glued it properly with
premade long sweep elbows on each end. Both ends are inside the
buildings and end in boxes at least 2 feet above ground level. Unless
we had a major flood, there will never be water getting in this
conduit. I actually planned to use UF, but wire has been so
expensive, I used what I had. I used 1inch pvc conduit so it was easy
to pull it, and would be easy to replace too. Actually I intend to
eventually replace it because I want at least 3 (20A) circuits in that
shed. Right now I just have one. But with the cost of wire, I've
lived with what I have. I just have to remember to unplug the
electric heater in the shed when I run my table saw. So far this has
only been a problem once, when it was just too cold to work out there
without the heater.

I do somewhat question why the coating on the wires inside romex would
not be waterproof? I'm not doubting anyone and know it's code, but
the plastic coating is not going to dissolve if it gets wet, and the
outer coating of the romex adds to the protection.

---------------

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
I`m planing on running An electric line from the house to a shed. It
will be in buried in conduit. Can I pull romex through the conduit or
should I use individual conductors? Is stranded wire or solid best?
Thanks all

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I don't believe I've ever disconnected a buried conduit without it being
full of water. It gets in through condensation, if by no other means. Romex
is made for dry and damp locations, so they don't use thwn conductors in it,
I suppose it's a tad cheaper. I once dug up a buried cable to a lamp post.
It had been in the ground for over ten years and was working just fine, and
it was plain old Romex. Go figure. Sleeved in a conduit, it would probably
last as long as anything else, but the OP should know that technically it's
a violation.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's all just a matter of legalities and code. Of course romex works fine
in conduit. Hell, my barn is powered by about 250' of 12/2 romex laying on
the ground. Works fine. I realize the covering and insulation inside the
covering will eventually succumb to UV light deterioration, but it's doing
the job until i build on to the house and bury a proper feed.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:15:47 -0600, "S. Barker"
wrote:

It's all just a matter of legalities and code. Of course romex works fine
in conduit. Hell, my barn is powered by about 250' of 12/2 romex laying on
the ground. Works fine. I realize the covering and insulation inside the
covering will eventually succumb to UV light deterioration, but it's doing
the job until i build on to the house and bury a proper feed.

Shame on you !!!!!

That's about as bad as my UF cable that runs overhead from my barn to
my hayshed. All I wanted was a light in the shed, and the shed is
about 10 feet higher on a hill than the barn. It was easy to run the
wire out of the side of the barn and up the hill to a pole, and
terminate in the shed. It's been this way for 7 or 8 years. Because
it goes thru a small woods, I have the wire attached to the post with
a plastic electric fence insulator. If a small tree falls, the
insulator will break. This happened once. Nothing was harmed except
the 25 cent insulator broke and had to be replaced. UF does not seem
to be affected by sunlight.

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

what is an approved 'messenger' cable made of? I plan to electrify a
detached garage at a rental house that is about a 30' span, and was planning
on hanging UF-B to do it.

wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:38:38 -0600, Jeepwolf
wrote:

That's about as bad as my UF cable that runs overhead from my barn to
my hayshed. All I wanted was a light in the shed, and the shed is
about 10 feet higher on a hill than the barn. It was easy to run the
wire out of the side of the barn and up the hill to a pole, and
terminate in the shed. It's been this way for 7 or 8 years. Because
it goes thru a small woods, I have the wire attached to the post with
a plastic electric fence insulator. If a small tree falls, the
insulator will break. This happened once. Nothing was harmed except
the 25 cent insulator broke and had to be replaced. UF does not seem
to be affected by sunlight.

If that was supported by a messenger cable it would even be "legal"

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks.

wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:58:28 -0600, "S. Barker"
wrote:

what is an approved 'messenger' cable made of? I plan to electrify a
detached garage at a rental house that is about a 30' span, and was
planning
on hanging UF-B to do it.

Any corrosion resistant cable strong enough to carry the wire,
securely fastened at each end. Typically that is 1/4" galvanized
cable. The cable must be grounded and the UF has to be lashed to the
messenger.

Driving a seperate ground rod Terry Home Repair 28 August 2nd 07 06:08 PM
multi-strands conductors allowed? John Home Repair 6 June 30th 06 03:13 AM
Grounding Electrode Conductors (US NEC) Wayne Whitney Home Repair 6 March 1st 06 02:06 PM
How many conductors ?? Ray Home Repair 2 July 1st 05 05:40 AM
Lightning conductors DKSanders UK diy 27 October 29th 03 01:26 AM