Posted to alt.home.repair
S. Barker S. Barker is offline

Default Romex or seperate conductors?

what is an approved 'messenger' cable made of? I plan to electrify a
detached garage at a rental house that is about a 30' span, and was planning
on hanging UF-B to do it.

wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:38:38 -0600, Jeepwolf
wrote:

That's about as bad as my UF cable that runs overhead from my barn to
my hayshed. All I wanted was a light in the shed, and the shed is
about 10 feet higher on a hill than the barn. It was easy to run the
wire out of the side of the barn and up the hill to a pole, and
terminate in the shed. It's been this way for 7 or 8 years. Because
it goes thru a small woods, I have the wire attached to the post with
a plastic electric fence insulator. If a small tree falls, the
insulator will break. This happened once. Nothing was harmed except
the 25 cent insulator broke and had to be replaced. UF does not seem
to be affected by sunlight.

If that was supported by a messenger cable it would even be "legal"