Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Romex or seperate conductors?

I don't believe I've ever disconnected a buried conduit without it being
full of water. It gets in through condensation, if by no other means. Romex
is made for dry and damp locations, so they don't use thwn conductors in it,
I suppose it's a tad cheaper. I once dug up a buried cable to a lamp post.
It had been in the ground for over ten years and was working just fine, and
it was plain old Romex. Go figure. Sleeved in a conduit, it would probably
last as long as anything else, but the OP should know that technically it's
a violation.

"Jeepwolf" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 07:19:49 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

You cannot run romex, as a buried conduit is considered a "wet" location
and
the conductors in romex are type THHN, which is not listed for wet
locations. You can use stranded or solid THWN conductors. I prefer
stranded,
as they're easier to pull

While I agree with not using standard romex underground. and suggest
using UF instead, I did run a line from my garage to a shed (about 15
ft.) underground. and used romex. That was a few years ago and it
works fine. However, I used PVC conduit, and glued it properly with
premade long sweep elbows on each end. Both ends are inside the
buildings and end in boxes at least 2 feet above ground level. Unless
we had a major flood, there will never be water getting in this
conduit. I actually planned to use UF, but wire has been so
expensive, I used what I had. I used 1inch pvc conduit so it was easy
to pull it, and would be easy to replace too. Actually I intend to
eventually replace it because I want at least 3 (20A) circuits in that
shed. Right now I just have one. But with the cost of wire, I've
lived with what I have. I just have to remember to unplug the
electric heater in the shed when I run my table saw. So far this has
only been a problem once, when it was just too cold to work out there
without the heater.

I do somewhat question why the coating on the wires inside romex would
not be waterproof? I'm not doubting anyone and know it's code, but
the plastic coating is not going to dissolve if it gets wet, and the
outer coating of the romex adds to the protection.

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
I`m planing on running An electric line from the house to a shed. It
will be in buried in conduit. Can I pull romex through the conduit or
should I use individual conductors? Is stranded wire or solid best?
Thanks all