Posted to alt.home.repair

Default getting my ashes hauled

No, subject line is not a euphamism...

just wanted to know if wood ashes are any good for mixing with soil or
if I should just make a dump run in the AM. Am in the process of
cleaning out the bottom of my chimney; apparently the PO's of the house
figured out what the ash hatch in the fireplace was for but not the
cleanout door in the basement. Have removed maybe 50 gallons of ashes
(?!?!?!?!) and finally the level of ash in the pit is about level with
the bottom of the cleanout door.

I'm sure those nice damp ashes probably weren't much good for the
masonry... this is actually what prompted me to look inside (fireplace
hasn't been used in a while; there's a wood stove in the fireplace now)
as the bottom of the chimney was showing evidence of being damp
(yellowed paint on brick, etc.)

nate

(someday I will have a clean house, honestly.)
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Nate Nagel wrote:
No, subject line is not a euphamism...

just wanted to know if wood ashes are any good for mixing with soil or

Depends...

On soil and wood types. In general, firewood typically has a lot of oak
and oak is rich in tannin which is acidic. If your soil tends to be
basic, it helps; if it isn't then you'll need some lime. Unless you
have a known soil test or simply have a large area that is just
grass/woods/whatever that you can spread them out over in a pretty thin
layer, I'd suggest you're probably just as well or better off to trash
'em...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
No, subject line is not a euphamism...

just wanted to know if wood ashes are any good for mixing with soil or if
I should just make a dump run in the AM. Am in the process of cleaning
out the bottom of my chimney; apparently the PO's of the house figured out
what the ash hatch in the fireplace was for but not the cleanout door in
the basement. Have removed maybe 50 gallons of ashes (?!?!?!?!) and
finally the level of ash in the pit is about level with the bottom of the
cleanout door.

I'd probably dump 50 gallons worth at one time, but when I burn the
woodstove, they just get spread on the lawn or on the compost pile. Been
doing that for 25 years now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
No, subject line is not a euphamism...

just wanted to know if wood ashes are any good for mixing with soil or

Depends...

On soil and wood types. In general, firewood typically has a lot of oak
and oak is rich in tannin which is acidic. If your soil tends to be
basic, it helps; if it isn't then you'll need some lime. Unless you
have a known soil test or simply have a large area that is just
grass/woods/whatever that you can spread them out over in a pretty thin
layer, I'd suggest you're probably just as well or better off to trash
'em...

--

No, wood ash is alkaline. If you need to spread lime on your lawn, just
use ashes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
dpb wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

No, subject line is not a euphamism...

just wanted to know if wood ashes are any good for mixing with soil or

Depends...

On soil and wood types. In general, firewood typically has a lot of
oak and oak is rich in tannin which is acidic. If your soil tends to
be basic, it helps; if it isn't then you'll need some lime. Unless
you have a known soil test or simply have a large area that is just
grass/woods/whatever that you can spread them out over in a pretty
thin layer, I'd suggest you're probably just as well or better off to
trash 'em...

--

No, wood ash is alkaline. If you need to spread lime on your lawn, just
use ashes.

duh. I should have known that, ash being used to make soap and all.

That, and my hands are dry as s**t now.

doesn't matter; I put 'em on craigslist and got rid of half of 'em
almost immediately, and also picked up a nice set of wood TV tables.
There's a reason I bought an old pickup truck... I don't know and
don't care how my soil is pH wise; most of it is going away, I'll worry
about pH after I have everything graded the way I want it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 1:39 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

As others have said, dump 'em on the lawn or garden in normal
cleanouts. I think I would dump your collection if it is damp as it
won't spread well. They contain potash but not a whole bunch - would
take a lot in any one spot to really change Ph much. I have been
puttin mine on the lawn/garden for 30 years and have seen no negative
indicators. I make no attempt to get an even spread, just take the
ash pan and 'sling' it. Spreads it good enogh that way but can drop a
heavier cover in spots. No problem except the ash cloud that forms
when the mower goes through.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 16:39:12 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

[...]

Wood ashes make a great natural fertilizer. High in potash. Spread
the ashes evenly over the soil. Ashes will have a tendency to sweeten
the soil, so keep ashes away from acid-loving plants. If your soils
are already alkaline, don't use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 4:39 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Probably no damage at all to the masonry, the worst is the sulfur in
fuel oil.
If you lime your lawn you can use the ashes instead and the potash
will add some drought resistance.
Keep them away from ericacious plants- azaleas, rhododendrons and the
like.
Lilacs will appreciate a few coffee cans spread around them.