Posted to alt.home.repair

Default getting my ashes hauled

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
No, subject line is not a euphamism...

just wanted to know if wood ashes are any good for mixing with soil or if
I should just make a dump run in the AM. Am in the process of cleaning
out the bottom of my chimney; apparently the PO's of the house figured out
what the ash hatch in the fireplace was for but not the cleanout door in
the basement. Have removed maybe 50 gallons of ashes (?!?!?!?!) and
finally the level of ash in the pit is about level with the bottom of the
cleanout door.

I'd probably dump 50 gallons worth at one time, but when I burn the
woodstove, they just get spread on the lawn or on the compost pile. Been
doing that for 25 years now.