Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default getting my ashes hauled

Frank wrote:
dpb wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

No, subject line is not a euphamism...

just wanted to know if wood ashes are any good for mixing with soil or

Depends...

On soil and wood types. In general, firewood typically has a lot of
oak and oak is rich in tannin which is acidic. If your soil tends to
be basic, it helps; if it isn't then you'll need some lime. Unless
you have a known soil test or simply have a large area that is just
grass/woods/whatever that you can spread them out over in a pretty
thin layer, I'd suggest you're probably just as well or better off to
trash 'em...

--

No, wood ash is alkaline. If you need to spread lime on your lawn, just
use ashes.

duh. I should have known that, ash being used to make soap and all.

That, and my hands are dry as s**t now.

doesn't matter; I put 'em on craigslist and got rid of half of 'em
almost immediately, and also picked up a nice set of wood TV tables.
There's a reason I bought an old pickup truck... I don't know and
don't care how my soil is pH wise; most of it is going away, I'll worry
about pH after I have everything graded the way I want it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel