Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to find where cold air is coming in basement?

have spent some time caulking cold drafty basement.....still cold and drafty
though....how do I track down where cold air is coming in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 12:41 am, wrote:
have spent some time caulking cold drafty basement.....still cold and drafty
though....how do I track down where cold air is coming in?

Try smoke to trace air path.
Punk or a candle might work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 12:41 am, wrote:

have spent some time caulking cold drafty basement.....still cold and drafty
though....how do I track down where cold air is coming in?

The low tech way is to wait for a very cold day and feel around with your hands. The high tech way is to rent or hire a thermal imaging camera. My basement was drafty too because it was uninsulated concrete block.

Posted to alt.home.repair

check where your sewer vent stack goes up. Sometimes air is channeled right
down from the attic.

wrote in message
have spent some time caulking cold drafty basement.....still cold and
drafty
though....how do I track down where cold air is coming in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

have spent some time caulking cold drafty basement.....still cold and
drafty
though....how do I track down where cold air is coming in?- Hide quoted text -

The best way is get a Blower Door test done on your house, all leaks
will be pinpointed with smoke and you will get a printout of air
exchanges your home has, maybe a 300$ test

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 03:57:24 -0800 (PST), marson
wrote:

On Dec 7, 12:41 am, wrote:

have spent some time caulking cold drafty basement.....still cold and drafty
though....how do I track down where cold air is coming in?

The low tech way is to wait for a very cold day and feel around with your hands. The high tech way is to rent or hire a thermal imaging camera. My basement was drafty too because it was uninsulated concrete block.

It might be worth using a lit incense stick to see where the drafts are.
Although I hate the smell of incense myself. Maybe a candle would work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 03:57:24 -0800 (PST), marson
wrote:

-snip-
The low tech way is to wait for a very cold day and feel around
with your hands. The high tech way is to rent or hire a thermal
imaging camera.

Or for an in-between option a infrared-no touch- digital thermometer.
0-220 or so models are available for $10.

I'd spend $30-40 and get one that has a greater range. See ebay or
froogle for the hundreds of models.

First place I'd check is where the sill meets the foundation.

My basement was drafty too because it was
uninsulated concrete block.

Cold, yes, but unless the mortar fell out from between the blocks, not
drafty.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
have spent some time caulking cold drafty basement.....still cold and
drafty
though....how do I track down where cold air is coming in?

A piece of small cotton twine will smoke a bit. You can light it, and walk
around and watch the smoke from it. Cheap and easy.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 12:12 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 03:57:24 -0800 (PST), marson

wrote:

-snip-

The low tech way is to wait for a very cold day and feel around
with your hands. The high tech way is to rent or hire a thermal
imaging camera.

Or for an in-between option a infrared-no touch- digital thermometer.
0-220 or so models are available for $10.

I'd spend $30-40 and get one that has a greater range. See ebay or
froogle for the hundreds of models.

First place I'd check is where the sill meets the foundation.

My basement was drafty too because it was
uninsulated concrete block.

Cold, yes, but unless the mortar fell out from between the blocks, not
drafty.

Jim

Well, it was my basement, so I would know whether it felt drafty or
not. Concrete block is such a poor insulator that it used to feel
like I was walking outside when I went down there (it's insulated
now). I didn't spend a lot of time looking for leaks. I just covered
it with 2" foam and was done with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 11:12:25 -0800 (PST), Joe graced
this newsgroup with:

wrote:
On Dec 7, 12:41 am, wrote:
have spent some time caulking cold drafty basement.....still cold and drafty
though....how do I track down where cold air is coming in?

Try smoke to trace air path.
Punk or a candle might work.

For a real smoke generator, get a bee smoker from your local farm
supply store. The output is substantial and the devices are much safer
than lit candles and such. A local beekeeper might even loan you one
for short time, but IIRC they are not too pricey. HTH

Joe

or, just buy a stick of inscense.