Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default How to find where cold air is coming in basement?

On Dec 7, 12:12 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 03:57:24 -0800 (PST), marson

wrote:

-snip-

The low tech way is to wait for a very cold day and feel around
with your hands. The high tech way is to rent or hire a thermal
imaging camera.

Or for an in-between option a infrared-no touch- digital thermometer.
0-220 or so models are available for $10.

I'd spend $30-40 and get one that has a greater range. See ebay or
froogle for the hundreds of models.

First place I'd check is where the sill meets the foundation.

My basement was drafty too because it was
uninsulated concrete block.

Cold, yes, but unless the mortar fell out from between the blocks, not
drafty.

Jim

Well, it was my basement, so I would know whether it felt drafty or
not. Concrete block is such a poor insulator that it used to feel
like I was walking outside when I went down there (it's insulated
now). I didn't spend a lot of time looking for leaks. I just covered
it with 2" foam and was done with it.