Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater Pilot LIght Problem

I have a Rheem water heater, 50 gal, aprox 5 years old. Within last
month I had to replace the thermocouple, worked fine until this week,
now I notice that the pilot light is about 3 inches hight and there is
flame coming from the bottom of the pilot burner from the air inlet.
My gas valve is a robertshaw 66-148-308 and has no pilot light
adjustment. Does that mean the pressure is too high if the flame is 3
inches high and shooting out the air intake, and should i replace the
valve, or as ive heard should i just replace the water hearter due to
cost of new valve.

any advice about this problem would be appreciated.

thanks
Hal
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 11:19�pm, wrote:
I have a Rheem water heater, 50 gal, aprox 5 years old. �Within last
month I had to replace the thermocouple, worked fine until this week,
now I notice that the pilot light is about 3 inches hight and there is
flame coming from the bottom of the pilot burner from the air inlet.
My gas valve is a robertshaw 66-148-308 and has no pilot light
adjustment. �Does that mean the pressure is too high if the flame is 3
inches high and shooting out the air intake, and should i replace the
valve, or as ive heard should i just replace the water hearter due to
cost of new valve.

any advice about this problem would be appreciated.

thanks
Hal

How are other natural gas flames in your home? if OK I would just
replace the heater.

a few years ago a new valve assembly cost about 170 bucks, thats a lot
to spend on a older tank.......