Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] harry-town@cox.net is offline

Default Water Heater Pilot LIght Problem

I have a Rheem water heater, 50 gal, aprox 5 years old. Within last
month I had to replace the thermocouple, worked fine until this week,
now I notice that the pilot light is about 3 inches hight and there is
flame coming from the bottom of the pilot burner from the air inlet.
My gas valve is a robertshaw 66-148-308 and has no pilot light
adjustment. Does that mean the pressure is too high if the flame is 3
inches high and shooting out the air intake, and should i replace the
valve, or as ive heard should i just replace the water hearter due to
cost of new valve.

any advice about this problem would be appreciated.

thanks
Hal