Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flourescent light problem

---MIKE--- wrote:

In my bedroom I have a standard 12" flourescent light. During warm and
mild weather it works normally. During cold weather, when I turn it on,
it glows dimly but won't light until I turn the switch off and on a few
times. When I get up in the morning it lights normally. After that it
acts up all day. ??????

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Have you tried a new bulb yet?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:55:32 -0500, ---MIKE--- wrote:

In my bedroom I have a standard 12" flourescent light. During warm and
mild weather it works normally. During cold weather, when I turn it on,
it glows dimly but won't light until I turn the switch off and on a few
times. When I get up in the morning it lights normally. After that it
acts up all day. ??????

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I do believe that there are lamps designed for cold weather.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:35:32 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

---MIKE--- wrote:

In my bedroom I have a standard 12" flourescent light. During warm and
mild weather it works normally. During cold weather, when I turn it on,
it glows dimly but won't light until I turn the switch off and on a few
times. When I get up in the morning it lights normally. After that it
acts up all day. ??????

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Have you tried a new bulb yet?

Jeff

That's how I fixed one that an electrician couldn't fix, even after
replacing the switch.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"

Posted to alt.home.repair

curmudgeon wrote:
It has nothing to do with the lamps....its the ballast that doesn't like
cold. Change to a fixture with electronic ballast and T-8 lamps.

Since a traditional magnetic ballast is is just a transformer/inductor,
I'd like to hear why you believe that cold affects their performance.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Since a traditional magnetic ballast is is just a transformer/inductor,
I'd like to hear why you believe that cold affects their performance.

The tube is cold, resulting in lower vapour pressure, making it harder
to start.

Electronic ballasts can get around this by putting more power into the
tube when it's being started, then easing off once the tube hits normal
operating condition.

As you say, magnetic ballasts are pretty basic, so they can't vary their
output.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message ...
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Since a traditional magnetic ballast is is just a transformer/inductor, I'd like to hear why you
believe that cold affects their performance.

The tube is cold, resulting in lower vapour pressure, making it harder to start.

Electronic ballasts can get around this by putting more power into the tube when it's being
started, then easing off once the tube hits normal operating condition.

As you say, magnetic ballasts are pretty basic, so they can't vary their output.

Chris

Actually there are special magnetic ballasts made for low-temperature operation. Google "low
temperature ballast" (with the quotes) and you'll get a ton of information.

Eric Law

flourescent light problem badgolferman Home Repair 5 October 7th 07 05:56 PM
Changing flourescent light unit Cast-it Admin Home Repair 25 November 29th 06 12:31 PM
exterior flourescent light fitting eddie UK diy 5 November 25th 04 02:25 AM
Noisy flourescent light louise UK diy 2 November 23rd 04 09:35 AM
Clicking Flourescent Light Fitting BigWallop UK diy 1 September 18th 03 10:33 PM