Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pump plus GFCI - a bad idea??

I am wondering if a sump pump installed in a damp basement should be
connected to a GFCI, or if this may cause the circuit to fail when it is
needed most, in bad flooding.

Does the NEC or other code dictate how to deal with this? Does it make
sense?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article wWA2j.41878$Pt.39227@trnddc02, "Smarty" wrote:
I am wondering if a sump pump installed in a damp basement should be
connected to a GFCI,

No!

or if this may cause the circuit to fail when it is
needed most, in bad flooding.

Yes.

Does the NEC or other code dictate how to deal with this? Does it make
sense?

NEC does not require use of a GFCI on a sump pump.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 11:46�am, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:04:25 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

NEC does not require use of a GFCI on a sump pump.

You are going to hate the 2008 �;-)

technically not required unless the sump is in a crawlspace...

I looked into this a LOT when a idiot home inspector required it, I
installed it, next home inspector flagged it as wrong,,,,

had nice chat with middle group inspector when having my main service
reinspected because the inspectors signature still visible but not
readable had faded........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 2:22�pm, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:00:53 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:

NEC does not require use of a GFCI on a sump pump.

You are going to hate the 2008 ?;-)

technically not required unless the sump is in a crawlspace...

I looked into this a LOT when a idiot home inspector required it, I
installed it, next home inspector flagged it as wrong,,,,

had nice chat with middle group inspector when having my main service
reinspected because the inspectors signature still visible but not
readable had faded........

When your AHJ adopts the 2008 all of those "dedicated receptacle"
exceptions will be gone. You will need AFCIs virtually everywhere too.
It is the appliance manufacturer's relief act. Anyone moving into a
new house will need new appliances since most old fridges, freezers
and washing machines develop enough internal leakage to trip a GFCI
(5ma) or AFCI (30ma)- Hide quoted text -

thats really dumb.

regulators always have to justify their job.

wonder if a properly grounded fridge has ever killed someone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" writes:
I am wondering if a sump pump installed in a damp basement should be
connected to a GFCI, or if this may cause the circuit to fail when it is
needed most, in bad flooding.

A GFCI shouldn't trip until there's current leakage to ground. This
shouldn't happen until the sump pump motor is flooded (if it's an
open-motor unit) or until the outlet it's plugged into is flooded (if
the sump pump is sealed). That's *bad* flooding, as long as the outlet
is installed a reasonable distance above the floor.

Dave