Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Needed - Unusual Cabinet Hinge

I have a furniture piece made of rosewood (ie, heavy) that has a drop-down
front door. The door fits smoothly into the cabinet face and is hinged at
the door-bottom left and right sides with an unusual recessed hinge. The
hinge is two pieces of brass about 3/4" wide by 1 1/2" long, connected with
a pivot near the ends of the pieces. One piece is then recessed into the
side of the door and the attached piece is mounted into a recess in the
cabinet frame -- one hinge on the left side and one on the right side of the
door. If my description isn't clear, when the door is opened and closed,
the two hinge pieces pivot like the blades on a scissors. When the door is
down, it's stabilized by two folding brass down-stays; when up, by two
catches on the top of the door. The unit was purchased years ago overseas,
so I can't go back to the manufacturer.

The bar was damaged in a move, and the door was ripped from the downstays
and the hinges. I have (or can replace) the downstays, but I can't locate
any hinges of this style. I've Googled the question and checked a number of
manufacturers (SOSS, Amerock, etc.) without success.

This is a quality piece of furniture, so I'd like to find an exact
replacement rather than try to jury-rig a home-made replacement. Does
anyone know of a source for the hinges?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JimR" wrote:

[...]

A picture would have been worth more than all of these words. I think
you're after a "pivot hinge," though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JimR wrote:
[...]

check here and see if any of these will match..

http://www.google.com/products?q=piv...earch+Products
Posted to alt.home.repair

JimR wrote:
I have a furniture piece made of rosewood (ie, heavy) that has a drop-down
front door. The door fits smoothly into the cabinet face and is hinged at
the door-bottom left and right sides with an unusual recessed hinge. The
hinge is two pieces of brass about 3/4" wide by 1 1/2" long, connected with
a pivot near the ends of the pieces.

Sounds like you're looking for a knife hinge.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...67&cat=3,41241

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Chris Friesen :
JimR wrote:
I have a furniture piece made of rosewood (ie, heavy) that has a drop-down
front door. The door fits smoothly into the cabinet face and is hinged at
the door-bottom left and right sides with an unusual recessed hinge. The
hinge is two pieces of brass about 3/4" wide by 1 1/2" long, connected with
a pivot near the ends of the pieces.

Sounds like you're looking for a knife hinge.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...67&cat=3,41241

In addition to Lee Valley, there's Rockler and Woodcraft which
are good sources for unusual hardware.

Woodcraft is a fairly large US chain, so there's a good chance there's
one near the OP if he needs to "see one" in person.

However, I suspect that Lee Valley will have more chance of matching
the hardware he's looking for.

Lee Valley doesn't have any retail stores in the US as far as I know -
they're all in Canada, so the OP would have to mailorder.

All three of these chains mailorder. LV's mailorder is good and
fast - even transborder according to reports - but we don't use it.

Chris, the LV flagship store is less than 5 minutes drive from here...
;-) It's one reason I live in this city! ;-)
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"JimR" wrote:

[...]

Sorry I couldn't provide a photo -- the original hinges were lost when the
item was damaged. Thanks to everyone for their information. I'm sure that
a "pivot hinge" is what I'm looking for. Now that I have the correct
nomenclature I can try Rockler, Lee Valley, etc., or the Woodcraft store in
Tampa. -- Regards --

Cabinet hinge source MiamiCuse Woodworking 13 August 10th 18 09:03 PM
sewing cabinet hinge [email protected] Woodworking 7 September 18th 07 03:20 AM
How to replace kitchen cabinet hinge? [email protected] Woodworking 8 August 30th 06 11:04 PM
Cabinet hinge KTECH Home Repair 0 March 25th 06 01:10 AM
Unusual compression spring source needed? Marcel Gonzalez Metalworking 5 June 27th 04 01:28 PM