Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Needed - Unusual Cabinet Hinge

According to Chris Friesen :
JimR wrote:
I have a furniture piece made of rosewood (ie, heavy) that has a drop-down
front door. The door fits smoothly into the cabinet face and is hinged at
the door-bottom left and right sides with an unusual recessed hinge. The
hinge is two pieces of brass about 3/4" wide by 1 1/2" long, connected with
a pivot near the ends of the pieces.

Sounds like you're looking for a knife hinge.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...67&cat=3,41241

In addition to Lee Valley, there's Rockler and Woodcraft which
are good sources for unusual hardware.

Woodcraft is a fairly large US chain, so there's a good chance there's
one near the OP if he needs to "see one" in person.

However, I suspect that Lee Valley will have more chance of matching
the hardware he's looking for.

Lee Valley doesn't have any retail stores in the US as far as I know -
they're all in Canada, so the OP would have to mailorder.

All three of these chains mailorder. LV's mailorder is good and
fast - even transborder according to reports - but we don't use it.

Chris, the LV flagship store is less than 5 minutes drive from here...
;-) It's one reason I live in this city! ;-)
--
Chris Lewis,