Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas line in the fireplace

Hi

I have a gas log set that I want to install in an existing fireplace.
However the gas feed is on the left side, and the gas log set takes
the gas on the right side.

Is it safe to run an approved stainless steel gas line across the back
of the firebox, where it will be exposed to heat from the flames?

I have read that natural gas will not ignite with out spark and
oxygen, but I can't find anything that speaks to how hot a gas line
can get, or if it is a danger or not.

Thanks all

Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi

I have a gas log set that I want to install in an existing fireplace.
However the gas feed is on the left side, and the gas log set takes
the gas on the right side.

Is it safe to run an approved stainless steel gas line across the back
of the firebox, where it will be exposed to heat from the flames?

I have read that natural gas will not ignite with out spark and
oxygen, but I can't find anything that speaks to how hot a gas line
can get, or if it is a danger or not.

As always, the best info will be obtained from your local inspector's office.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:57:57 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

wrote in message
Hi

I have a gas log set that I want to install in an existing fireplace.
However the gas feed is on the left side, and the gas log set takes
the gas on the right side.

Is it safe to run an approved stainless steel gas line across the back
of the firebox, where it will be exposed to heat from the flames?

I have read that natural gas will not ignite with out spark and
oxygen, but I can't find anything that speaks to how hot a gas line
can get, or if it is a danger or not.

As always, the best info will be obtained from your local inspector's office.

Bob

I wont touch this one with an answer. It's too dangerous......
I will say this much, If I was to do it, and knew it was safe, I'd use
solid steel black pipe, and keep it low, under the flames. Then
again, I know nothing about this. I'd never have a gas fireplace.
Too much wasted heat.

If you dont care to call the inspector, call a local plumber. I'm
sure there's no cost to ask a question on the phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:01:56 -0800, tquenemoen wrote:

Hi

I have a gas log set that I want to install in an existing fireplace.
However the gas feed is on the left side, and the gas log set takes the
gas on the right side.

Is it safe to run an approved stainless steel gas line across the back
of the firebox, where it will be exposed to heat from the flames?

I have read that natural gas will not ignite with out spark and oxygen,
but I can't find anything that speaks to how hot a gas line can get, or
if it is a danger or not.

Thanks all

Tom

Talk with your local gas supplier. Usually they are very helpful to
customers. If they offer installation services, let them come over to
give an estimate and ask your questions at that time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I have a gas log set that I want to install in an existing fireplace.
However the gas feed is on the left side, and the gas log set takes
the gas on the right side.

Is it safe to run an approved stainless steel gas line across the back
of the firebox, where it will be exposed to heat from the flames?

Tom, it doesnt 'sound' like a good idea but I don't really know. What I'd
do is call the gas company and ask. I bet they know. Also if they know it
can be done, they can probably advise on how.

Can't you get a log set with the feed on the left to match?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi

I have a gas log set that I want to install in an existing fireplace.
However the gas feed is on the left side, and the gas log set takes
the gas on the right side.

Is it safe to run an approved stainless steel gas line across the back
of the firebox, where it will be exposed to heat from the flames?

I have read that natural gas will not ignite with out spark and
oxygen, but I can't find anything that speaks to how hot a gas line
can get, or if it is a danger or not.

Thanks all

Tom

What is the brand and model? The Logs I've installed will work on both
sides. Are you sure there isn't a knock out? Basically, the line has to be
kept below and away from the flames. I can't imagine a gas log set that
can't be installed on both sides.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On Nov 20, 10:01 pm, wrote:
Hi

I have a gas log set that I want to install in an existing fireplace.
However the gas feed is on the left side, and the gas log set takes
the gas on the right side.

Is it safe to run an approved stainless steel gas line across the back
of the firebox, where it will be exposed to heat from the flames?

I have read that natural gas will not ignite with out spark and
oxygen, but I can't find anything that speaks to how hot a gas line
can get, or if it is a danger or not.

Thanks all

Tom

The vent-free log set I installed about 5 years was the exact same
situation. I installed black pipe thru the lower left corner of the
fireplace, elbow right turn and continued straight along the back wall
for about 3', then converted to a 1/8" (or 1/4"?) copper which made a
wide 180 turn into the gas unit. It was inspected by the county...no
issues. The house and my butt are still in 1 piece.

--Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JB" wrote in message
On Nov 20, 10:01 pm, wrote:
[...]

So it was a right or left install like a door?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like the manufacturers need to get their act together and make these
things reversible in some fashion.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On Nov 21, 7:17 pm, "jthread" wrote:
"JB" wrote in message

On Nov 20, 10:01 pm, wrote:
[...]

If I understand your question, the gas input was on the outside of the
unit. In this case, it was on the right side. The copper made a wide
180 U turn from the back wall to the inlet.

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JB" wrote in message

On Nov 20, 10:01 pm, wrote:
[...]

Sorry. I know it looked rude. I didn't intend that. You know how it goes.
Press send and...
I'm just curious. Why whould a gas log set come right or left? I looked at
some mfg's models and none of them stated r/l. The one I installed had a r/l
option.

Jim