Posted to alt.home.repair
jthread jthread is offline

Default Gas line in the fireplace

"JB" wrote in message
On Nov 20, 10:01 pm, wrote:
Hi

I have a gas log set that I want to install in an existing fireplace.
However the gas feed is on the left side, and the gas log set takes
the gas on the right side.

Is it safe to run an approved stainless steel gas line across the back
of the firebox, where it will be exposed to heat from the flames?

I have read that natural gas will not ignite with out spark and
oxygen, but I can't find anything that speaks to how hot a gas line
can get, or if it is a danger or not.

Thanks all

Tom

The vent-free log set I installed about 5 years was the exact same
situation. I installed black pipe thru the lower left corner of the
fireplace, elbow right turn and continued straight along the back wall
for about 3', then converted to a 1/8" (or 1/4"?) copper which made a
wide 180 turn into the gas unit. It was inspected by the county...no
issues. The house and my butt are still in 1 piece.

--Jeff

So it was a right or left install like a door?

Jim