Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old household paint disposal?

For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 2:50 pm, observer wrote:
For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

You have to poor it out on something like plywood, tarp or plastic or
if you have time just open the lid and just let it dry. Basically you
cannot dipose of wet paint as long as it is dry it is fine to throw in
the trash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 3:50 pm, observer wrote:
For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

It depends if it is oil or latex, at least around here.

For latex: open up and let it dry, or soak cat litter into it. Then
seal it back up and take it out with the rest of your trash.

For oil: take it to one of the haz-mat disposal days. They run them
here about 4 times/year for just such items.

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

observer wrote:

For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

Check with your local city or county about disposal of
"household hazardous waste".
Maybe you can google "household hazardous waste" and you city or county name.
Most localities have some sort of program to keep
such stuff out of landfills and get it recycled properly.
Latex paint, once hardened, may be put in landfills. Other
paint, stains, and solvents may not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

observer wrote in message
news
For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

Usually at the landfill or pickup points, they have a trailer for paints and
nasty stuff. Our big city (Las Vegas) even has one amnesty day a year where
you can bring in ANYTHING. They get some interesting items, including live
ordnance. Make a couple of phone calls.

They tell you that you can't dump it in the landfill, but you CAN drop it at
their trailer that deals with just such items.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

1) maybe your county or Township has a paint reuse program. They take old
paint, mix it all together and give the result away free.

2) Leave the lid off the can for several months so the paint can harden

3) paint the inside of your garage

4) Go to a local paint store and buy a packet of paint soldifier. Sold
specifically for paint disposal

5) Check out your state's EPA web site for the nearest hazardous waste
disposal site

observer wrote in message
news
For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

observer wrote:
For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

Leave it with an agency of government.

The best one I've found is a local schoolyard. At night.

They take everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:50:51 -0600, observer wrote:

For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

I use such paint for bird houses, garages, attic and storage spaces,
etc. You can sell it at a garage sale for others to use. If any of
these are not appealing, then allow the paint to evaporate, get hard,
and throw it in the trash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

observer wrote:
For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

Leave it with an agency of government.

The best one I've found is a local schoolyard. At night.

They take everything.

I hope people start using YOUR yard for the same purpose.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get some plastic garbage bags and kitty litter,
no special brand. Put enough litter in each bag.
pour your paint in the bags with the litter. Mix the
paint in the bags with the litter with a paint mixing
stick. Leave out in the sun, for about an hour, and you
will have dry mounds out paint. Idea given to me
from my recycle center.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
:

observer wrote:
For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't
want any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If
it matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

Leave it with an agency of government.

The best one I've found is a local schoolyard. At night.

They take everything.

I hope people start using YOUR yard for the same purpose.

I'm not an agency of government!

If you don't like schoolyards, do this. Take the can to the police station.
Set in the middle of the floor. Point to it and say: "This is for you, John
Law!" and bolt for the door. What a hoot!

Posted to alt.home.repair

observer wrote in message
news
For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

With any luck your community will have a recycling center for such products.
Please do NOT do the dry-it-out-and-throw-it-out approach. That just puts
another very nasty element in the garbage dumps.

In Portland, all partial paint cans can be recycled, and the center combines
many compatible types into generic primers or base coats, or just for a
cheap protective cover.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , observer wrote:
For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

It depends on where you live. Call your local City Hall or
garbage company. Both organizations are generally very
helpful when presented with the question "How do I properly
dispose of...".

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:50:51 -0600, observer wrote:

For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

Why waste it if it's still usable. GIVE IT TO SOMEONE NEEDY.....
Post some FREE ads at local store cork boards, possibly a free ad on a
radio station or newspaper. Give to a local St. Vincent De Paul store
if they will take it. Maybe there's a local food pantry where you can
take it to, and needy people can take it if they want. If it's not
usable, let latex paint dry and dispose in trash. Oil based paints
can often be taken to recycling centers who often have yearly pickups
of chemicals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

observer wrote:
For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

Local rules used to allow up to a gallon of anything in trash. Not sure
if holds today. There may be special days for bringing stuff in and you
should check with them. Biggest concern is volatile solvents, so it
depends on paint type. Water based latex would cause no problems in
dump but oil based may be considered a hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mamba wrote:
observer wrote in message
news
For household paint that hasn't been used in years and you don't want
any longer, how do you " properly " dispose of such paint? If it
matters, I have trash pickup and recycling pickup.

With any luck your community will have a recycling center for such products.
Please do NOT do the dry-it-out-and-throw-it-out approach. That just puts
another very nasty element in the garbage dumps.

In Portland, all partial paint cans can be recycled, and the center combines
many compatible types into generic primers or base coats, or just for a
cheap protective cover.

'Dry it out and throw it away' IS an approved disposal method for latex
paint, but NOT for oil-based.

But having said that- see if your city or area recycling orgs do the
trick of combining latex dregs together in big buckets (which always
comes out beige for some reason), and reuses it or sells it at token
prices for applications where color doesn't matter. (like park restrooms
that have be painted 2-3 times a year, etc.)

Other solution is Habitat for Humanity ReStore, if the can is full
enough for a small project, and hasn't been frozen or contaminated.

Best disposal method is always use it up for intended purpose.

aem sends...

Disposal of paint John Rumm UK diy 12 August 20th 07 10:58 PM
Household Grease Martin[_2_] UK diy 11 August 19th 07 02:32 PM
Household AC Ventilation bigb Home Repair 1 May 9th 07 05:34 PM
Household recycling Chris Home Ownership 37 January 7th 07 02:19 AM
Disposal of latex paint Ignoramus18055 Home Repair 11 August 25th 06 12:20 AM