Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Slow leak on boiler return line

I have a very slow dripping leak along the boiler return line
(threaded black pipe), a few joints away from the actual boiler. I
would rather not repair now as it's too cold to lose heat for a day:
drain the system (and finally install shut offs on either side of the
boiler!), cut the pipe, install a new union, refill, purge air, etc.
It looks like the pipe dope on this specific threaded connection may
have been insufficient.

Is there anything that I can apply to the outside of the joint (epoxy,
etc?) that would stop the dripping until I can deal with this next
Spring/Summer?

Thanks.
-Theodore

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a very slow dripping leak along the boiler return line
(threaded black pipe), a few joints away from the actual boiler. I
would rather not repair now as it's too cold to lose heat for a day:
drain the system (and finally install shut offs on either side of the
boiler!), cut the pipe, install a new union, refill, purge air, etc.
It looks like the pipe dope on this specific threaded connection may
have been insufficient.

Is there anything that I can apply to the outside of the joint (epoxy,
etc?) that would stop the dripping until I can deal with this next
Spring/Summer?

Thanks.
-Theodore

What will you do if it leaks worse in mid January and the temperature is 40
degrees less than it is today? There is nothing on the outside that is
foolproof. Plenty of things (epoxy, JB Weld, etc) may get you an hour, day,
month, or more, but long term, it just does not hold up in most cases.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

What will you do if it leaks worse in mid January and the temperature is 40
degrees less than it is today? There is nothing on the outside that is
foolproof. Plenty of things (epoxy, JB Weld, etc) may get you an hour, day,
month, or more, but long term, it just does not hold up in most cases.

Ok. Thanks for the advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Nov 6, 5:26 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Duct tape.

--

I'm Ernest T. Bass;
and, I approved this message.

wrote in message

ups.com...
I have a very slow dripping leak along the boiler return line
(threaded black pipe), a few joints away from the actual boiler. I
would rather not repair now as it's too cold to lose heat for a day:
drain the system (and finally install shut offs on either side of the
boiler!), cut the pipe, install a new union, refill, purge air, etc.
It looks like the pipe dope on this specific threaded connection may
have been insufficient.

Is there anything that I can apply to the outside of the joint (epoxy,
etc?) that would stop the dripping until I can deal with this next
Spring/Summer?

Thanks.
-Theodore

Yea Elmers glue and Duck tape work great , Try it, im Mr Hack visit
my website.