Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Zyp Zyp is offline

Default Slow leak on boiler return line

Bubba wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 10:44:57 -0800, wrote:

I have a very slow dripping leak along the boiler return line
(threaded black pipe), a few joints away from the actual boiler. I
would rather not repair now as it's too cold to lose heat for a day:
drain the system (and finally install shut offs on either side of the
boiler!), cut the pipe, install a new union, refill, purge air, etc.
It looks like the pipe dope on this specific threaded connection may
have been insufficient.

Is there anything that I can apply to the outside of the joint
(epoxy, etc?) that would stop the dripping until I can deal with
this next Spring/Summer?

Thanks.
-Theodore

Lemme get this straight Theo.........
We've just started to get into the winter season. You want to wait
till Spring/Summer to repair it?
What are you going to do if it goes completly in the middle of the
winter on a Sat evening?
Id suggest fixing it right at the earliest opportunity. Otherwise, I
hear bubble gum and scotch tape make great leak repairs.
Bubba

He could use a clamp and boot? But what's he gonna do about other parts of
the pipe that soom will be leaking? I'm thinking he should call a
qualified, licensed, insured heating / boiler repair company. Take a loan,
use a credit card, or pay cash, which ever works and rest assured his
property won't go scathed when it finally bursts.

--
Zyp