Posted to alt.home.repair

Default In ground pool filter question?

Although this is NOT a "home repair" question, I can find nowhere else to
ask.

I recently purchased a home that had an inground vinyl lined pool. Over the
summer I struggled to keep it clean but eventually a hired technician
stated that the filter "cartridges" needed replacing.

As the pool is now closed for the winter I have time to do some research.
What I determined was that the two replacement filters (Sta-rite System3)
even over the Internet will cost approx $400 or more.

I then thought that a sand filter would be a better solution to this
filtering problem.

Therefore, can anyone with a pool comment on ever installing a sand filter
and how it performed relative to a paper cartridge or something else? If
anyone has installed a sand filter, what was the "average" cost of the
device and also the installation and maintenace charges?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 1:11 pm, bobmct wrote:
[...]

cartridge sand diatomaceous earth

i would scrap the filter and upgrade to either 2 or 3...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 10:11 am, bobmct wrote:

Therefore, can anyone with a pool comment on ever installing a sand filter
and how it performed relative to a paper cartridge or something else? If
anyone has installed a sand filter, what was the "average" cost of the
device and also the installation and maintenace charges?

Had a pool with a cartridge filter ~20 years ago. Then, a replacement
cartridge cost ~$70. Found it to be a big pain in the butt cleaning
the filter element.

Current pool uses sand filter, at different house, pool built new 6
years ago, so can't comment on the cost to install. Maintenance
however is a breeze. Just keep your eye on the pressure, when it goes
up 5 pounds or so, set the valves to backwash and turn on the pump.
Haven't needed to replace the sand yet.

Combination of sand filter and in-floor popup cleaning system makes
the pool virtually maintenance free. Just gotta keep my eye on the
chemicals and empty the skimmer baskets once in a while. Have found
that the water-powered switch that switches the water to the cleaning
heads seems to be a regular failure item - lasts about 2 years - I'm
on my 3rd one. Might have something to do with the alkaline water here
in AZ.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

bobmct writes:

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cartridges are for chumps buying pools from lowball contractors. A pain to
clean and true costs are the worst.

Sand filters work and minimize your effort and cost.

DE filters work the best but take more upkeep.