Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C systems

Someone came out today and measured my house . They will return next
week with an estimate for a new a/c (condenser and air handler) for
Trane, Goodman and possibly Carrier. I have someone coming early next
week from a different company ... same type estimates.

I know that Trane and Goodman are made in this country. I also know
Trane is better known but Goodman has a good reputation...(my current
condenser is a 15-yr. old Goodman. Got it to replace a Singer that
had gone bad and Goodman was only thing that would work with the air
handler. It has never had any problems).

What I would like to know - preferably from someone who works on a/c
systems ... are they comparable as far as problems/break downs go?
Will one outlast the other? Goodman costs less. Is it just because
of name recognition?

I have a Carrier air handler. I bought it to replace the Singer when
it broke - and because it would work with a Goodman condenser. The
first Carrier lasted about one year and two weeks. I had a one year
warranty but the company that sold it to me replaced it free of charge
except for labor. No problems since then...about four years.
Still, it makes me skeptical...may not be justified.

This is a big expense and I want to be sure I am making a smart
choice. My husband wants to wait until what we have breaks before
replacing it ... I don't want to be rushed. People across the street
from me got a 3 1/2 ton Trane, 1300 SEER and their utility bill went
down a lot even though they only had it for 15-days of billing cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 9:15 am, Dottie wrote:
[...]

Consumer Reports did a long term poll , maybe 5 years of 300000, and
Goodman came in a solid Last Place. Get a load calculation in writing,
measurements and guessing is not enough, what you need is the best
installer, not equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Carrier with 1 year warranty? 13 SEER is bare minimum requirement now.
If you live where a/c is used a lot, higher SEER unit may be a better
choice for the long run. Also you have to choose between old Freon based
or newer refrrgerant(R22 vs R410).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 9:15 am, Dottie wrote:
[...]

Goodman has a bad reputation,, as in crapman...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Oct 19, 9:15 am, Dottie wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Another case of you et what you pay for. Quality of install can't be
too emphasized.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

ransley wrote:

On Oct 19, 9:15 am, Dottie wrote:

[...]

.... probably mostly due to a lower markup more than any technical
reason. The "bad reputation" seems to be a creation of their
competitors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Tony Hwang wrote:

ransley wrote:

On Oct 19, 9:15 am, Dottie wrote:

[...]

It's not at all clear that you get what you pay for where HVAC is involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Dottie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Forget about the equipment and go with the best installer you can find.
A great installer can make anything work properly, but a hack can make even
the best equipment fail to the point where one thinks it's nothing but
garbage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"ransley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 19, 9:15 am, Dottie wrote:
[...]

CR is nothing but a JOKE.
You might as well ask your favorite pet which equipment to purchase.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"ransley" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 19, 9:15 am, Dottie wrote:
[...]

As does all equipment when installed improperly........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:15:44 -0700, Dottie wrote:

What I would like to know - preferably from someone who works on a/c
systems ... are they comparable as far as problems/break downs go?
Will one outlast the other? Goodman costs less. Is it just because
of name recognition?

I'm not a pro.

Got no axes to grind.

If you want "better" and you have the $, get Trane.

Goodman "fit and finish" may leave something to be desired.
Suspect Trane is easier to repair as well.

As regards reliability/longevity, with proper install,
I don't think anybody knows ('tho they'll swear that they do).

I'd place highest priority on selecting a super-competent
conny-tractor, type of eqpt. a distant second.

Cheers,
Puddin'

"Well, there's two trains runnin'.
Ain't neither one goin' my way.
One run at midnight,
the other run just before day."
- from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949
Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

ransley wrote:
On Oct 19, 9:15 am, Dottie wrote:
[...]

All kidding aside. Look for a contractor who can prove themselves. Either
they are NATE approved and certified technicians, or RSES approved and
certified technitions. Good contractors belong to trade associations and
continue to attend schooling to keep up with equipment changes and trends.
ACCA is a good start. PHCC is another good start.

A smart consumer will check the contractors credentials and ask some prudent
information. A smart consumer will ask friends, relatives, and neighbors
who they've had good or bad experiences with. You make the choice and don't
let price dictate your decision alone.

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:15:44 -0700, Dottie wrote:

What I would like to know - preferably from someone who works on a/c
systems ... are they comparable as far as problems/break downs go?
Will one outlast the other? Goodman costs less. Is it just because
of name recognition?

I'm not a pro.

Should have stopped there...

Got no axes to grind.

If you want "better" and you have the $, get Trane.

Goodman "fit and finish" may leave something to be desired.
Suspect Trane is easier to repair as well.

Complete bull****...

Car-ac-systems [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 3rd 07 10:05 PM
A/C Systems! Daniel Pitts Home Repair 1 August 20th 07 04:08 AM
A/C Systems! Torrey Hills Home Repair 0 August 19th 07 06:49 PM
LED Systems emel kılınç UK diy 3 July 15th 07 09:18 PM
Folding door systems (eg. ID-Systems, Sunseeker, etc ..) [email protected] UK diy 2 July 5th 06 11:28 PM