Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it a Felony in your state?

I was solicited today at the door. _Hi, we are painting "Jim's" house
and see you have a need for painting (duh! not much).

Without a single thought this beautiful woman (emphasis) quotes me
$2,150.00. Playing on this conversation I say I only have three sides
to paint. Of course she can now do the job cheaper (consult in the
car with the driver - (GRIN) )

She comes back, says $1,500.00 for the three sides of the house to be
painted. I asked, if the company/she had a contractor's license - no!
"we have a crew to paint". Do they have a license? She went
silent...like I had three heads :-))

I had the ask the beautiful solicitor

In Nevada.

A contractor is anyone who in any capacity except as an employee of
another with wages as the sole compensation, undertakes to, offers to
undertake to, purports to have the capacity to undertake to, or
submits a bid to, or does himself or by or through others, construct,
alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, move, wreck, or
demolish any building, highway, road, railroad, excavation or other
structure, project, development or improvement. (NRS 624.020)

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 11:55 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

[...]

Glad Nevada finally put some teeth in its laws. I was a contractor in
Nevada for nine years. Heard too many stories about paying up front, shoddy
work, no work, all sorts of horror stories. Though, the law is different in
many states. One size does not fit all, and if just depends on what state
you live in as to your recourse.

For all, please notice that merely offering or purporting to have the
capacity to undertake, or giving a bid constitutes contracting. That covers
most work.

The way it's worded is a bit odd. "purports to have the capacity to
undertake to," So you're having a party drinking beers and you
mention that you're planning on expanding the house, some random guy
mentions that he helped frame a dormer in college and it was no big
deal and that it'd be easy to dormer your house. "Hell yes, I could
do it!" How does that constitute contracting? That's like arresting
someone for prostitution who mentioned they _could_ boink your brains
out. Seems to me there an offer has to be made, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
"Oren" wrote in message

[...]

That would depend on the state you live in, wouldn't it? In Nevada, merely
an offer to do the work, whether orally or on paper, whether the work
actually starts or not, or money changes hands or not constitutes
contracting under the new statutes.

Now you can argue all day as to whether it's fair, or that's the way it is
in Kansas. Or wherever you live.

But that's the way it is in Nevada.

BUT IT'S JUST NOT FAIR, Ricodjour screams!

Tell it to the judge, son.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

[...]

Are you familiar with conspiracy? It's actually illegal just to *plan* a
crime.

In my state, I believe that any work over a certain dollar volume
requires a contractor's license. Maybe $500, but I'm not sure. I suppose
you could build a house by hiring several thousand handyman types to do
small pieces of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren,

So? What was the result? Did you call the cops? File a complaint? What?
Are they doing time?
There are lots of laws that look good on the books but are not enforced.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
I was solicited today at the door. _Hi, we are painting "Jim's" house
and see you have a need for painting (duh! not much).
In Nevada.

Can't imagine why the state should get involved between a willing buyer and
a willing seller.

The framers had it right when they said:

Amendment X.
"No State shall ... pass any ...Law impairing the Obligation of
Contracts..."

But, what the hey, busibodies have to have something to keep themselves
occupied.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So if the solicitor was "an employee of another with wages as the sole compensation", then she was not a contractor.

But if wages are *not* her sole compensation, like she gets health insurance or something, then she's a contractor?

Makes perfect sense to me ;^)

Eric Law

"Oren" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
Oren,

So? What was the result? Did you call the cops? File a complaint? What?
Are they doing time?
There are lots of laws that look good on the books but are not enforced.

Dave M.

It all depends on your state. You call the Contractor's Board and file a
complaint. They investigate. In Nevada, the fines are so expensive that
they now have a full staff of investigators and they are hitting these guys
with a minimum $5,000 fine or jail time.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:42:59 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Oren,

So? What was the result? Did you call the cops? File a complaint? What?
Are they doing time?
There are lots of laws that look good on the books but are not enforced.

Dave M.

I let it go. Later joked with the neighbor about it. He suggested that
if she and her "crew" would paint the house bikini clad, too let them
do it :-))

Our state is busy with the Ten Most Wanted (actually 20 - North and
South NV). If you look at these crooks and also saw the person at my
door, letting it go was best. No harm no foul.

http://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/Te...nted_Intro.htm

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:31:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Oren wrote:
I was solicited today at the door. _Hi, we are painting "Jim's" house
and see you have a need for painting (duh! not much).
In Nevada.

Can't imagine why the state should get involved between a willing buyer and
a willing seller.

Prostitution vs Painter.

It is legal in the next county (not Las Vegas), but the painter is a
felon in both counties...

The framers had it right when they said:

Amendment X.
"No State shall ... pass any ...Law impairing the Obligation of
Contracts..."

I don't think this apples. What obligation was impaired? The state
says you need a license to bid for work.

But, what the hey, busibodies have to have something to keep themselves
occupied.

Ours meet every two years

--
Oren

"Painting is the art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critics."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Ours meet every two years

Yeah, ours meet for 90 days every two years. The editor of our local paper
(Houston) opined that is should be reversed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:41:52 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Oren wrote:

Ours meet every two years

Yeah, ours meet for 90 days every two years. The editor of our local paper
(Houston) opined that is should be reversed.

I'm not mad. (BFG)

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
That's like arresting
someone for prostitution who mentioned they _could_ boink your brains
out. Seems to me there an offer has to be made, right?

All the singles bars would close if guys could not talk about their
occupation. Plumbers, carpenters, astronauts, race car drivers, test
pilots, movie producers, etc.

WW in State College, PA Ron S Woodworking 2 September 28th 06 12:47 PM
The state of our country [email protected] Home Repair 44 June 4th 06 03:52 PM
Penn State DCs? Toller Woodworking 3 November 8th 05 04:51 AM
Penn State [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 23rd 03 01:17 PM