Posted to alt.home.repair

Default paint calculation

I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin
Williams said I need to calculate
1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations? This
is bug house and I am trying to plan my budget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mazaltov" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin
Williams said I need to calculate
1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations? This
is bug house and I am trying to plan my budget.

Yes, 400sf seems to be a standard number for paint. My own experience is
less than 400sf coverage with an airless setup. If it was me, I would budget
for 200sf and hope to get close to 400sf.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kirk R." wrote in message
mazaltov wrote:
I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin
Williams said I need to calculate
1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations? This
is bug house and I am trying to plan my budget.

Never believe anyone in a professional paint store such as SW. Always
believe someone in a big box store.

Plan your budget? You bozo, it's going to cost, whatever it does.

Besides, I don't know how you "pain" a house, and as far as it being a
"bug house", you would be better off calling an exterminator.

So, tell me. Is it tough being a genius, or what?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 11:02 pm, "Kirk R." wrote:
mazaltov wrote:
I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin
Williams said I need to calculate
1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations? This
is bug house and I am trying to plan my budget.

Never believe anyone in a professional paint store such as SW. Always
believe someone in a big box store.

People even get second opinions from doctors. Sometimes it is a good
insurance policy.

Plan your budget? You bozo, it's going to cost, whatever it does.

He just bought a house. Maybe it is his first and he is
overextended. Perhaps he has a certain amount of money he is willing
to spend without having to sell more stock, etc and wants to make sure
he has the cash on hand before he begins the project. Perhaps if it
costs too much he wouldn't do it at all. Why is budgeting stupid?
Even if he had no reason to know at all ... what if he just wants to
know?

Besides, I don't know how you "pain" a house,

Then why are you giving advice on paining a house?

and as far as it being a
"bug house", you would be better off calling an exterminator.

Do you use a dvorak? On the qwrety 'i' is located immediately beside
the 'u'. The op clearly meant big and you trying hard not to
understand him doesn't help ... at all ... just turns new people off
to newsgroups.

=====================

To answer the question posted. I always purchase based on 300 ft^2
per gallon for rolled WALLS if the side of the can says 400 ft^2. I
do not subtract out windows, doors, etc when calculating wall area.

Hope this helps,
William

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, mazaltov wrote:
I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin
Williams said I need to calculate
1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations?

No. 400 square feet/gallon is *very* optomistic. 300 is more like it.

For 2800 sf, figure two five-gallon buckets per coat. It's usually cheaper to
buy one five-gallon bucket than five one-gallon cans -- and it may be cheaper
than buying *four* one-gallon cans.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

mazaltov wrote:

I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin
Williams said I need to calculate
1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations? This
is bug house and I am trying to plan my budget.

400 sf? I've never used paint that was labelled for more than 200 sf.
Read the label and plan for at least 20% less coverage. It depends on
the surface and your painting technique. You also don't want to be down
to your last quart before you buy more .. if it is a mixed color, should
pour a newly opened gal. into the last quart of the previous and mix
them to keep any variation of color from being obvious.

It is easy to check .. SW website has all the scoop. Surprise ..tne
paint I checked says 250-300 sf, the other 350-400.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/...xterior_paint/
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Norminn wrote:
mazaltov wrote:

I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin
Williams said I need to calculate
1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations? This
is bug house and I am trying to plan my budget.

400 sf? I've never used paint that was labelled for more than 200 sf.

You need to start using a better grade of paint.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Norminn wrote:

mazaltov wrote:

I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin
Williams said I need to calculate
1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations? This
is bug house and I am trying to plan my budget.

400 sf? I've never used paint that was labelled for more than 200 sf.

You need to start using a better grade of paint.

Paint is good. Memory isn't ) I just checked the can for some
interior paint, BM Impervo; covers a lot more than 400
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article .com,
mazaltov wrote:
I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin
Williams said I need to calculate
1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations?

No. 400 square feet/gallon is *very* optomistic. 300 is more like it.

For 2800 sf, figure two five-gallon buckets per coat. It's usually cheaper
buy one five-gallon bucket than five one-gallon cans -- and it may be
cheaper
than buying *four* one-gallon cans.

--
Regards,

Not arguing with you, just my past observation. No pro, but I've never
painted a house, even one much smaller, with 10 gallons or less. Just a
rough guess on the surface area; ceiling being 2,800sf and walls perhaps
twice the ceiling area or 5,600sf. For a total area of 8,400sf and a
coverage of 300sf/gal we need 28 gallons. Who knows, without knowing the
variables like number of rooms and wall heights or he only paint the walls
and not the ceiling, the real answer could be between 10 and 28 gallons.

I always wanted to buy 5 gallon cans but many of times the single gallon is
on sale and the 5 gallon is not so its cheaper to get the single gallon
cans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 9:02 pm, "Kirk R." wrote:
mazaltov wrote:
I need to pain 2800 sf house that we just bought. Guy in Sherwin
Williams said I need to calculate
1 Galon/400sf for walls 1 coat . Is that reasonable calculations? This
is bug house and I am trying to plan my budget.

Never believe anyone in a professional paint store such as SW. Always
believe someone in a big box store.

From personal experience:

When we painted the inside of our home, we used Lowes online paint
calculator. We had 4 different colors plus trim and a little primer.
When all was said and done we ended up as we expected, didn't have to
garage (for all 4 colors) for touch ups (I have kids). I plan on using
one of those calculators for the outside of the house next spring.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've painted a lot. Coverage depends on a lot of things. Is it primed? Is
it already painted? Are the colors similar, or are you painting something
black white? Or vice versa? What kind of roller are you using? Are you
spraying? How heavy are you putting it on? What kind of stipple do you
want? How good do you want it to look?

I have always found the 400 sf claims to be optimistic, and attainable only
if you put one THIN coat. Even then, you get some bleedthrough of the
original color due to the coat of paint's thinness, or things leaching
through the new paint.

I would say 200-300 sf for figuring coverage. If it's just a stock color,
like Navajo white, you can take back what you don't use.

You never know the actual coverage until you're done and do the math. And
then, it's different for every job.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "** Frank **" wrote:

Not arguing with you, just my past observation. No pro, but I've never
painted a house, even one much smaller, with 10 gallons or less. Just a
rough guess on the surface area; ceiling being 2,800sf and walls perhaps
twice the ceiling area or 5,600sf. For a total area of 8,400sf and a
coverage of 300sf/gal we need 28 gallons. Who knows, without knowing the
variables like number of rooms and wall heights or he only paint the walls
and not the ceiling, the real answer could be between 10 and 28 gallons.

Well, now that I read your post, I think I misread the original -- I read
2800sf as the *wall* area, but that's probably not a correct interpretation.

To the OP: figure the total area you're going to paint. Assume one gallon will
cover about 300 to 350 square feet, for one coat. Buy your paint accordingly.

I always wanted to buy 5 gallon cans but many of times the single gallon is
on sale and the 5 gallon is not so its cheaper to get the single gallon
cans.

Frequently, if you ask, you can get a 5-gallon pail at 5x the one-gallon
price.

--
Regards,

Need help with a Resistor calculation please David D Electronics Repair 12 August 15th 07 10:58 AM
EMT load calculation tr Home Repair 2 June 8th 07 12:48 PM
is the calculation right ????? hurry Electronics Repair 4 May 8th 06 07:04 AM
Can Someone Do A Calculation For Me? Jay UK diy 11 March 2nd 06 02:14 PM
RSJ calculation johncol UK diy 2 February 3rd 06 06:47 PM