Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default paint calculation

In article , "** Frank **" wrote:

Not arguing with you, just my past observation. No pro, but I've never
painted a house, even one much smaller, with 10 gallons or less. Just a
rough guess on the surface area; ceiling being 2,800sf and walls perhaps
twice the ceiling area or 5,600sf. For a total area of 8,400sf and a
coverage of 300sf/gal we need 28 gallons. Who knows, without knowing the
variables like number of rooms and wall heights or he only paint the walls
and not the ceiling, the real answer could be between 10 and 28 gallons.

Well, now that I read your post, I think I misread the original -- I read
2800sf as the *wall* area, but that's probably not a correct interpretation.

To the OP: figure the total area you're going to paint. Assume one gallon will
cover about 300 to 350 square feet, for one coat. Buy your paint accordingly.

I always wanted to buy 5 gallon cans but many of times the single gallon is
on sale and the 5 gallon is not so its cheaper to get the single gallon
cans.

Frequently, if you ask, you can get a 5-gallon pail at 5x the one-gallon
price.

--
Regards,