Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice maker repair?

My kid's ice maker on the GE refrigerator just went south after 8 months of
use. No longer under warranty as they didn't start using it until the
kitchen was remodeled.

Anyway, it still make ice cubes inside the freezer, but no ice dispensing in
chip or cube forms - no sound either from the motor or solenoid. The ice
water dispenser works but takes a long 10 seconds before the solenoid kicks
in. Before, we get instantaneous ice water when it was working right. When I
try to dispense ice cubes or chips I could see the dispenser light cycle
between normal and dim but no ice - must be drawing current somewhere for
the ice machine.

I know nothing about ice makers but have no problem tearing into it if I
have some directions or a parts diagram. Any suggestions as to what I should
look for or troubleshoot? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"** Frank **" wrote in message
Anyway, it still make ice cubes inside the freezer, but no ice dispensing
in chip or cube forms - no sound either from the motor or solenoid. The
ice water dispenser works but takes a long 10 seconds before the solenoid
kicks in. Before, we get instantaneous ice water when it was working
right. When I try to dispense ice cubes or chips I could see the dispenser
light cycle between normal and dim but no ice - must be drawing current
somewhere for the ice machine.

There are two components. the ice maker and the ice dispenser. Sounds like
the ice maker is good, but the ice dispenser is not working.

If the light dims, that means a load is being put on the motor. I'd say
either the motor is bad or the drive is stuck either mechanically (such as
bearings) or by the ice freezing it. First step is to empty the ice and se
if you can find a physical blockage in the chute leading to the auger. If
so, remove it or use a hair dryer to melt it.

You may find more information at www.repairclinic.com

Thanks Edwin. I wanted to learn more about ice makers and ran into this
video on YouTube on snap-in fitting. So cool, never seen this kind of
fitting for rigid copper tubings at the local hardware store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9B5CgFAaqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9B5CgFAaqg

Ice maker Stacia Home Repair 10 August 7th 07 09:54 AM
paper pot maker triker3 Woodturning 2 December 11th 06 08:56 PM
Old Ice in Ice Maker Bin Sherman Home Repair 9 July 30th 05 04:50 PM
Ice maker help The other Mike Home Ownership 3 April 22nd 05 12:41 AM
Paper log maker David W.E. Roberts UK diy 22 February 21st 05 10:30 PM