Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Smaller, less ugly outdoor electric outlet?

I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

All the outlet boxes and "in use" covers are large and ugly, but rab came
out with this thing for an application like yours:
http://www.rabweb.com/product_line_d...rodline=turtle

"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote in message
I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote in message
I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

Whatever the solution, be sure is GFCI and wired properly. Schedule 80 PVC
for conduit at minimum. The ugliness is a result of weatherization
protection.
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Yup, getting all the necessary protection is a "gimme"!

I know that the outlet needs to be properly weatherized, but I'm not
convinced that the only way to do it is to have a big post with a full-size
double outlet and a gigantic clear plastic cover (although I fully
understand the design requirements that went into that kind of design).

How about something like this ... a small (2" diameter) pipe (green,
probably plastic) and near the top, 3 short (6" long) pieces of the same
pipe "glued" around the main (support) pipe. Some nice round top to keep
the weather out. Each of those 3 short pieces of pipe hinges open, and
inside you see (1) an outlet at the top, facing _down_, and (2) some sort of
velcro or something so that the cord isn't held in the outlet solely by the
friction of the electrical connections.

Voila! Small, un-obtrusive, weatherproof. When nothing's plugged into it,
it looks like some strange green plastic mushroom.

Chris

"Dave" wrote in message
"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote in message
I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

Whatever the solution, be sure is GFCI and wired properly. Schedule 80
PVC for conduit at minimum. The ugliness is a result of weatherization
protection.
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message

"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote in message
I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

Whatever the solution, be sure is GFCI and wired properly. Schedule 80
PVC for conduit at minimum. The ugliness is a result of weatherization
protection.
Dave- Hide quoted text -

put it behind a small evergreen bush or plant, to screen it

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

on 10/14/2007 9:38 AM Chris Shearer Cooper said the following:
[...]

Sounds good. Be sure to make plans and diagrams for a patent.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Yeah, I thought about a patent, but (1) I've never gotten a patent before,
(2) I don't know the electrical code, and (3) I don't know how to get a
patent.

I'd be happy if somebody else would just make one for me (grin) but it might
also be an interesting introduction to the world of patents.

Suggestions on how to get started on something like that?

Thanks,
Chris

p.s. Yes, this is getting more off-topic as time goes on ...

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

on 10/14/2007 11:06 AM Chris Shearer Cooper said the following:
Yeah, I thought about a patent, but (1) I've never gotten a patent before,
(2) I don't know the electrical code, and (3) I don't know how to get a
patent.

I'd be happy if somebody else would just make one for me (grin) but it might
also be an interesting introduction to the world of patents.

Suggestions on how to get started on something like that?

Thanks,
Chris

p.s. Yes, this is getting more off-topic as time goes on ...

Whatever you do, be sure to have a secure cover for the outlet, even if
hung upside down under a protective overhang. It's not only rain that
can get into the outlet, but insects and their nests. Wasps will like
that overhang, too.

"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 13:51:29 -0600, "Chris Shearer Cooper"
wrote:

I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

How a small 2x4 inch box is so ugly is beyond me. But if it bothers
you so much, get some sort of hollow lawn ornament to place over the
top of it. In your case, one of those plastic lawn trolls would work
great........

Some people (like you) really need to get a life......

BTW, they do sell green colored boxes and covers, or a little green
spray paint will do the job too.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

you could look at the industrial outlets some i have used at work are
the WoodHead brand with the matching plug these are small(also to very
large based on voltage and current) and water proof.
of course there yellow but some paint for plastic would camouflaged it
also keeping the outlet low to the ground would help unless code gives a
min hight requirement.
my two cents, Charles

Chris Shearer Cooper wrote:
That's the problem ... the garden is relatively small, with a few rock paths
for the kids to play around, so there aren't a lot of places to hide these
things.

ups.com...

"Dave" wrote in message

"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote in message
I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a
permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights,
etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet
boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.
Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?
Thanks,
Chris
Whatever the solution, be sure is GFCI and wired properly. Schedule 80
PVC for conduit at minimum. The ugliness is a result of weatherization
protection.
Dave- Hide quoted text -

put it behind a small evergreen bush or plant, to screen it

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

It's really amazing, how people lose all sense of politeness, just because
they are sitting in front of a computer, instead of face to face. Please
try to remember basic human decency when replying to topics on newsgroups.
If a particular topic annoys you, it's best to simply ignore it. And as
that sounds like good advice even to me, I will now add you to my list of
blocked senders.

wrote:

I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

How a small 2x4 inch box is so ugly is beyond me. But if it bothers
you so much, get some sort of hollow lawn ornament to place over the
top of it. In your case, one of those plastic lawn trolls would work
great........

Some people (like you) really need to get a life......

BTW, they do sell green colored boxes and covers, or a little green
spray paint will do the job too.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote in message
Yup, getting all the necessary protection is a "gimme"!

No its not, I know nothing about you.

I know that the outlet needs to be properly weatherized, but I'm not
convinced that the only way to do it is to have a big post with a
full-size double outlet and a gigantic clear plastic cover (although I
fully understand the design requirements that went into that kind of
design).

Who said "clear plastic cover" is mandatory? There may be something out
there, but I'm not the typical suburbanite interested primarily in
appearances... Et al our British predecessors as well.

How about something like this ... a small (2" diameter) pipe (green,
probably plastic) and near the top, 3 short (6" long) pieces of the same
pipe "glued" around the main (support) pipe. Some nice round top to keep
the weather out. Each of those 3 short pieces of pipe hinges open, and
inside you see (1) an outlet at the top, facing _down_, and (2) some sort
of velcro or something so that the cord isn't held in the outlet solely by
the friction of the electrical connections.

Hopefully, schedule 80 PVC piping. "cord" is usually in reference to
temporary cabling for temporary use. IE: extension cord. Scary. The
pointed down outlets better be well above the soil line. IE: splash from
heavy rain. The boxes better be power ventialated if pointed down. IE:
condensation bleeding from the top down.

Voila! Small, un-obtrusive, weatherproof. When nothing's plugged into
it, it looks like some strange green plastic mushroom.

I hate mushrooms except eating them.

Chris

"Dave" wrote in message
"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote in message
I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet
boxes I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

Whatever the solution, be sure is GFCI and wired properly. Schedule 80
PVC for conduit at minimum. The ugliness is a result of weatherization
protection.
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Nope, I'd say the same thing to you in person. Not alot of friends, but at
least I'm up front and honest. My friends and enemies always know where I
stand. Not everyone plays your game...
Dave

wrote:

I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

How a small 2x4 inch box is so ugly is beyond me. But if it bothers
you so much, get some sort of hollow lawn ornament to place over the
top of it. In your case, one of those plastic lawn trolls would work
great........

Some people (like you) really need to get a life......

BTW, they do sell green colored boxes and covers, or a little green
spray paint will do the job too.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 14:55:47 -0600, "Chris Shearer Cooper"
wrote:

It's really amazing, how people lose all sense of politeness, just because
they are sitting in front of a computer, instead of face to face. Please
try to remember basic human decency when replying to topics on newsgroups.
If a particular topic annoys you, it's best to simply ignore it. And as
that sounds like good advice even to me, I will now add you to my list of
blocked senders.

Thank You.

I went out of my way to help, and I did find the perfect lawn troll
(gnome) for you. I think it would fit you and your lawn perfectly.
You could put your outlet right between the cheeks and plug your tool
in there anytime it felt appropriate !!!!!

See it he
http://pcpodcast.blogsome.com/images/pcp126.jpg

------ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -------

.. .
wrote:

I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

How a small 2x4 inch box is so ugly is beyond me. But if it bothers
you so much, get some sort of hollow lawn ornament to place over the
top of it. In your case, one of those plastic lawn trolls would work
great........

Some people (like you) really need to get a life......

BTW, they do sell green colored boxes and covers, or a little green
spray paint will do the job too.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I went out of my way to help, and I did find the perfect lawn troll
(gnome) for you. I think it would fit you and your lawn perfectly.
You could put your outlet right between the cheeks and plug your tool
in there anytime it felt appropriate !!!!!

See it he
http://pcpodcast.blogsome.com/images/pcp126.jpg

Is that AC or DC?

(chuckel)

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote in message
I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet

boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

Whatever the solution, be sure is GFCI and wired properly. Schedule 80
PVC for conduit at minimum. The ugliness is a result of weatherization
protection.
Dave

Arlington makes this: http://www.aifittings.com/j_2.htm

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote in message
That's the problem ... the garden is relatively small, with a few rock
paths for the kids to play around, so there aren't a lot of places to hide
these things.

http://www.amazon.com/Dekorra-Model-.../dp/B0007QMBKY

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

pedoc1man had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/cons...let-11346-.htm
:
I know just the product you need. It is a U.L. listed product and that is
important to insure it is safe. look up www.pedocpower.com, or just
google "pedoc" and you will see the item you want. They even have ones
that eliminate the need for the big ugly bubble covers that are required
outdoors.

alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair - messages and counting!
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On 13 May 2009 20:46:05 GMT,
(pedoc1man) wrote:

pedoc1man had written this in response to
http://www.thewesuckbigtimecompany.c...let-11346-.htm
:
I know just the product you need. It is a U.L. listed product and that is
important to insure it is safe. look up www.spammerpower.com, or just
google "pespammer" and you will see the item you want. They even have ones
that eliminate the need for the big ugly bubble covers that are required
outdoors.

Delivered via http://www.thewesuckbigtimecompany.com/
alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair - messages and counting!

Aw, geeze, just what we need, more damned spam from the
spam-o-company!

Next time don't try to hide your spam as a bogus post, just say it:
"We rip people off big time, see our web site at..."