Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Banning house paint is RACIST!

"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is basically
profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth Villafranca, whose family
owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. 'We all know who paints their
homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is
basically profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth Villafranca,
whose family owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. 'We all know who
paints their homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

It's amazing how much time people are willing to waste fighting nonsense,
while ignoring what's important.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is
basically profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth Villafranca,
whose family owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. 'We all know who
paints their homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

It's amazing how much time people are willing to waste fighting nonsense,
while ignoring what's important.

But being a member of the Church Of The Perpetually Offended is
important to some people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is
basically profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth
Villafranca,
whose family owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. 'We all know
who
paints their homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

It's amazing how much time people are willing to waste fighting nonsense,
while ignoring what's important.

But being a member of the Church Of The Perpetually Offended is
important to some people.

One of my neighbors painted his house in a color that's completely absurd
for the surroundings, but after many years of practice, I've perfected a
unique skill: I don't look. It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:33:55 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is basically
profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth Villafranca, whose family
owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. 'We all know who paints their
homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

Yeah, we have your tropical colors. What would you like? Redish-tan?
Greenish-tan? Bluish tan? We're running a special this week on tanish gray.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is
basically profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth
Villafranca,
whose family owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. 'We all know
who
paints their homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

It's amazing how much time people are willing to waste fighting nonsense,
while ignoring what's important.

But being a member of the Church Of The Perpetually Offended is
important to some people.

One of my neighbors painted his house in a color that's completely absurd
for the surroundings, but after many years of practice, I've perfected a
unique skill: I don't look. It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Neighbor across the street has purple shutters - it's a Polish thing.
Thanks for reminding me - I looked ;(
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 7:01 am, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:33:55 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is basically
profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth Villafranca, whose family
owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. 'We all know who paints their
homes tropical colors.' "
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

Yeah, we have your tropical colors. What would you like? Redish-tan?
Greenish-tan? Bluish tan? We're running a special this week on tanish gray.

They tried to pass a county ordinance that specified paint color had
to be 'approved'. No definition of an 'approved' color was included,
left up to the building inspector. There were a lot of other
Ayatollah restrictions included. It was put were the sun doesn't
shine by our county attorney. Not satisfied with that, they hired a
consultant attorney who told them "put it where the sun don't shine".

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...
wrote:
[...]

My town's been wrestling with a good idea for years, but they can't quite
figure out how to implement it. Example: An recently deceased neighbor of
mine had (because she's dead) a gorgeous sycamore in her yard. She wanted it
removed. As she explained it, "I love the tree, I love the shade, but a
couple times a year, it drops all this bark." It wasn't a matter of cleaning
up the bark. Her lawn mowing guys cleaned it up nicely. Rather, she was
convinced the tree was sick. She consulted several tree companies, and
someone from a tree preservation group, and she was convinced that they were
all lying when they said the sycamore was behaving normally. So, she wanted
it gone. She was difficult to talk to, so I never bothered to ask if she
though the "disease" might spread to her house, which would then shed its
shingles & siding.

Anyway, the town's trying to figure out a way to (bad word) require that
homeowners at least sit through a 20 minute meeting with a tree authority
(on town payroll) before taking down a tree for the wrong reasons. The town
would have no authority to stop homeowners from removing a tree. They just
want an opportunity to review the information that may have been provided by
someone who makes money removing trees.

I like the idea, but it never gets very far at town board meetings.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 11, 8:33 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is basically
profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth Villafranca, whose family
owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. 'We all know who paints their
homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

It's not racist, it's just a sign of busybodies with too much time on
their hands.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is
basically profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth
Villafranca,
whose family owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. 'We all know
who
paints their homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

It's amazing how much time people are willing to waste fighting nonsense,
while ignoring what's important.

But being a member of the Church Of The Perpetually Offended is
important to some people.

One of my neighbors painted his house in a color that's completely absurd
for the surroundings, but after many years of practice, I've perfected a
unique skill: I don't look. It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Where I used to live, there was a historical zone from the 1700s where
many historical US Revolutionary War events happened.
The people living in this area could not have exposed ACs, TV antennas,
satellite dishes, vinyl siding, Christmas lights other than a single
candle in the windows, and a restriction on any house color other than
those available in the late 1700s.
One homeowner, in protest, painted his house in various shades of
purple. It looked kinda cute, like a building that belonged in Disney World.
I don't know what the result of the protest was since I moved away
before the final decision was made.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:11:14 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

She was difficult to talk to, so I never bothered to ask if she
though the "disease" might spread to her house, which would then shed its
shingles & siding.

LOL...

I have two large sycamores in the back yard. Very nice for shade, but
quite a mess when they shed the bark.

They're very good at crushing garages, too, as I learned during the 1993 ice
storm here, when the sycamore at my previous house tossed a telephone
pole-size branch onto my neighbor's property. His freestanding garage looked
like a giant foot stomped it. The structure needed to be replaced anyway, so
my neighbor was quite pleased.

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
On Oct 11, 8:33 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is
basically profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth
Villafranca, whose family owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers
Branch. 'We all know who paints their homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

It's not racist, it's just a sign of busybodies with too much time on
their hands.

Interestingly, this report appears in the Houston Chronicle, the hometown
paper of a city that has no zoning. We work out problems like this amongst
ourselves.

If someone wants to paint their house black or open a bodega in a
residential area, they are simply killed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 3:13 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
N8N wrote:

If someone wants to paint their house black or open a bodega in a
residential area, they are simply killed.

Best plan I've head yet! I doubt anyone cares what you do out in the
middle of nowhere, but if you want to live in a neighborhood, it is
essential that you be a good neighbor. That excludes doing stupid
things that bring down everyones property values. This smacks of
"Block Busting", ( the practice of moving into a desirable area and
doing things to drive down property values for the purpose of
installing an ethnic group.) I have an idea, if you don't like how we
do things here go back to Mexico or wherever you came from, Racist my
ass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is
basically profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth
Villafranca, whose family owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers
Branch. 'We all know who paints their homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

Yeah, we have your tropical colors. What would you like? Redish-tan?
Greenish-tan? Bluish tan? We're running a special this week on
tanish gray.

I say Old Bean, do you mind if I paint my house exterior a tannish grey?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:01:21 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:33:55 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is basically
profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth Villafranca, whose family
owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. 'We all know who paints their
homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

Yeah, we have your tropical colors. What would you like? Redish-tan?
Greenish-tan? Bluish tan? We're running a special this week on tanish gray.

Got anything in a brownish tan?
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site: www.destarr.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Starr wrote:

Got anything in a brownish tan?

Sexist pig!

It's called "Taupe." Women know that word and if you're going to use that
color, at least refer to it by its proper name!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
On Oct 11, 3:13 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
N8N wrote:

If someone wants to paint their house black or open a bodega in a
residential area, they are simply killed.

Best plan I've head yet! I doubt anyone cares what you do out in the
middle of nowhere, but if you want to live in a neighborhood, it is
essential that you be a good neighbor. That excludes doing stupid
things that bring down everyones property values. This smacks of
"Block Busting", ( the practice of moving into a desirable area and
doing things to drive down property values for the purpose of
installing an ethnic group.) I have an idea, if you don't like how we
do things here go back to Mexico or wherever you came from, Racist my
ass.

Well, we don't have a LOT of killing, so I guess things work out okay. I
mean, look at Washington, D.C. They HAVE zoning and you have to step over
the bodies littering the streets!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:33:55 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

"[TEXAS] 'I believe controlling the color you paint your house is basically
profiling the Hispanic community,' said Elizabeth Villafranca, whose family
owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. 'We all know who paints their
homes tropical colors.' "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

Yeah, we have your tropical colors. What would you like? Redish-tan?
Greenish-tan? Bluish tan? We're running a special this week on tanish gray.

Got anything in a brownish tan?

Paint it yellowish tan. Over time, it looks more and more like the
color of **** :-)

(missing sig separator line of "-- "?)

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site: www.destarr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Oh, like the town tree police wouldn't lie to her, too?