Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to find a potentially leaky waste pipe

The edges of some of my paver bricks are always damp, even though a
ceiling over them prevent rain from ever hitting them. The water meter
doesn't budge when all the faucets are off, so I suspect a leak in the
main waste pipe.

The house is on a slab, and located in central New Jersey, so the pipe
might be a couple of feet below the soil (and below the frost line).

Another winter problem is that the nearby blacktop driveway will raise
about two inches above the concrete garage floor following a couple of
weeks of below freezing temperatures. There had been a gap between the
blacktop and the garage that I just filled, so I don't yet know if
that's how the water was getting below the blacktop. Again, it may have
been leaks from the waste pipe.

Any tips for finding it?

Thanks,

Ray
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:
[...]

http://centerseptic.com/shopsite_sc/...product24.html

http://www.professionalequipment.com...-Google&pt=pfp

http://www.toolexperts.com/Septic_Testing.html

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/6/2007 3:11 PM Ray K said the following:
[...]

My guess would be the same as I have. There is a shallow aquifer right
under your driveway and pavers.
On the driest of days there can be wet spots in the middle of my
driveway. I am 400' above sea level and on top of a hill. No one around
me is higher. I know there are no pipes under the driveway as I have a
well on the side lawn that goes directly to the house. After I first
built this house, I noticed the water near the end of my driveway and
thought it was from the neighbors above ground pool, but it wasn't. The
highway department has occasionally repaved a few feet of the road
section at the end of my driveway because it constantly crumbles away
while the rest of the road doesn't.
My asphalt driveway heaves about 1" above the concrete garage apron in
the winter. There are depressions in the asphalt where the cars sit.
When they paved the driveway, I watched the roller move over the asphalt
like it was on a thick rubber sheet.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Jim and Bill. Being a city boy always on public sewage systems,
I didn't know about such dye test powders.

I'll have to investigate the aquifer possibility. I too am above most of
my neighbors, but based on Bill's experience, that could be my problem too.

Ray
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/6/2007 4:08 PM Ray K said the following:
Ray K wrote:
[...]

When my house was built, they went down 325' for my well. If I'd known
about that shallow aquifer, I would have built an old type wishing well
with a bucket. My wife always wanted a wishing well to cover the well
head. Maybe I'll dig a real one on the other side of the driveway. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

My parent's house built in 1967 had a wet spot when the foundation hole was
dug, this was 6 feet deep. The sump was installed close to that damp area
and developed a constant flow of water no matter how dry the summer. They
had a 40 foot deep bored well (3 feet in diameter, common in this area)
which started running out of water about 10 years after the house was built,
but the spring in the sump always flowed with fresh cold water.

You never know where there is water and what it will do.

"Ray K" wrote in message
[...]

Leaky Toilet -- how much water will it waste? Andrew Richman Home Repair 28 February 13th 19 09:21 PM
WC overflow going into a sink waste-pipe, soil pipe or shower cubicle? James B UK diy 14 May 19th 07 02:06 PM
Find out how to cut pieces from sheets with minimal waste. Denis Smirnov Home Repair 6 June 29th 06 03:21 PM
Leaky pipe Scott UK diy 7 November 29th 04 12:00 AM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM