Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing help

Can vent pipes have elbows or do they have to go straight up through the
roof??? Thanks for any help....

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/5/2007 8:11 PM benick said the following:
Can vent pipes have elbows or do they have to go straight up through the
roof??? Thanks for any help....

They can go any which way you can think of, as long as they don't have
bends that will hold water (like a P trap) to close off the air exhaust.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can vent pipes have elbows

yes

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message

Can vent pipes have elbows

yes

Thanks for the replies..The job just got easier....lol

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 3:41 am, "benick" wrote:
"Rudy" wrote in message

Can vent pipes have elbows

yes

Thanks for the replies..The job just got easier....lol

Further. To avoid several holes in our roof (kitchen, bathroom, main
stack etc.) we took all our vents through the attic to one place (the
main vent stack) and joined them all together for one vent through the
roof. The kitchen for example is some 20+ feet from the main stack
vent.
Been that way since 1970, no problems. Everything vents as it should.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All plumbing whether going down (sanitary sewer) or up (venting)
can make turns and joints. The fittings must all be sanitary
fittings, not pressure fittings that make sweeping turns that
solids and sewer cables can maneuver.

A very old method of inspection was to drop a ball into the piping
to see if it would come out on the down hill end. I've not ever
seen it, it may be a myth, but the concept is accurate.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"benick" wrote in message
Can vent pipes have elbows or do they have to go straight up
through the roof??? Thanks for any help....

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/6/2007 7:56 AM DanG said the following:
All plumbing whether going down (sanitary sewer) or up (venting)
can make turns and joints. The fittings must all be sanitary
fittings, not pressure fittings that make sweeping turns that
solids and sewer cables can maneuver.

A very old method of inspection was to drop a ball into the piping
to see if it would come out on the down hill end. I've not ever
seen it, it may be a myth, but the concept is accurate.

What if the ball didn't come out?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Oct 8, 5:33 pm, "Mark" wrote:
"terry" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 6, 3:41 am, "benick" wrote:
"Rudy" wrote in message

Can vent pipes have elbows
yes

Thanks for the replies..The job just got easier....lol

Further. To avoid several holes in our roof (kitchen, bathroom, main
stack etc.) we took all our vents through the attic to one place (the
main vent stack) and joined them all together for one vent through the
roof. The kitchen for example is some 20+ feet from the main stack
vent.
Been that way since 1970, no problems. Everything vents as it should.

This might or might not meet code in some areas. Here in central Ohio USA I
think it does, but I think in some areas it may not. Regardless there is
probably some limit to how many fixtures (sinks, tubs, toilets) that can go
thru one vent.- Hide quoted text -

In this area it would'nt has we won't allow more than 2 45s at most to
a stack and 3 toilets least it is 6 inch Remember that no toilet
should be more than 5 feet from the stack as this is physics of water
not some code. Also if doing sinks after 10 ft they should be done in
2 inch as better flow is achieved. And after 12 feet a secondery vent
is required just makes for better flow and drainage.

Plumbing Code - Can I tie my bathroom exaust fan into the main plumbing vent to the outside. johnnymo Home Repair 29 December 9th 18 02:08 AM
Need plumbing help Jim Z Home Repair 2 March 31st 07 06:03 PM
Old odd plumbing Adrian UK diy 12 July 23rd 05 10:07 PM
Now Plumbing help.. PhilÅ UK diy 2 November 17th 04 10:58 AM