Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Adhesives for concrete patching.

We just redid our driveway, patio etc with new concrete. It is 6"
gravel, 6" concrete with wire mesh on the driveway and 5+5, no wire
mesh, elsewhere.

Unfortunately, a kid stepped on one place on the driveway and there is
a imprint of his step about 5mm deep or so. My wife is livid about
this, as she is wont to be in general.

So, I am thinking if I can fill the hole.

My idea was to take a solid epoxy 100% solids from raka.com, which I
have, mix with portland cement for color, and apply to the imprint. It
is very clean right now and is not contaminated with oil etc.

Would this work or not? It is in the worst part of the driveway (next
to the road). We have snow, ice, salt, etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Ignoramus23835 wrote:

We just redid our driveway, patio etc with new concrete. It is 6"
gravel, 6" concrete with wire mesh on the driveway and 5+5, no wire
mesh, elsewhere.

Unfortunately, a kid stepped on one place on the driveway and there is
a imprint of his step about 5mm deep or so. My wife is livid about
this, as she is wont to be in general.

So, I am thinking if I can fill the hole.

My idea was to take a solid epoxy 100% solids from raka.com, which I
have, mix with portland cement for color, and apply to the imprint. It
is very clean right now and is not contaminated with oil etc.

Would this work or not? It is in the worst part of the driveway (next
to the road). We have snow, ice, salt, etc.

Go buy a $5 bag of concrete patch mix at Depot. It's a driveway, not a
space shuttle and the patch mix made for the purpose will work just
fine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

In rec.crafts.metalworking Ignoramus23835 wrote:
We just redid our driveway, patio etc with new concrete. It is 6"
gravel, 6" concrete with wire mesh on the driveway and 5+5, no wire
mesh, elsewhere.

Unfortunately, a kid stepped on one place on the driveway and there is
a imprint of his step about 5mm deep or so. My wife is livid about
this, as she is wont to be in general.

So, I am thinking if I can fill the hole.

My idea was to take a solid epoxy 100% solids from raka.com, which I
have, mix with portland cement for color, and apply to the imprint. It
is very clean right now and is not contaminated with oil etc.

why not use a carbon fiber based composite, or fill the thing in with a
titanium casting?

Would this work or not? It is in the worst part of the driveway (next
to the road). We have snow, ice, salt, etc.

it's the best idea ever. Be sure to patch the new concrete driveway with
anything but concrete.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

1.) I think there is a latex coating which helps concrete stick to concrete.
B.) New concrete bonds to itself pretty well.

You will have a hard time getting a perfect color match with any material
other than the same stuff the driveway is made of. If your wife gets livid
easily, the outline of a footprint in a slightly different color will
probably bother her.

Here's an idea: Chop out a rectangular recess and inlay a tile with your
house number on it. Maybe your wife would like a second tile inlaid with
her first name on it.

Or just fill the footprint with a concrete slurry and hope for the best.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Your patch idea will probably NOT work. Go ahead, you're no
farther behind. The color will not blend, I suspect. Make sure
to mask around what you do - see below.

One idea that might work:
Call the concrete man. Ask if he has a core drill with a large
enough bit to encircle the kid's foot print. If the print is not
centered, could you drill several holes to create a pattern or
enough to do the address? Drill and Chip out the circles about
1/2-3/4 deep. Fill with epoxy or high strength pavement patch,
embed a design or number if desired. Trying to make square or
diamond, straight line cuts will be quite problematic, that is why
I am suggesting round. Mask or cover quite an area around the
area, any slop will not clean off and will stain and discolor what
you have. You will probably be in the next size dog house if you
stain or discolor it. My dog house has lights and AC!

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Ignoramus23835" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 20:09:37 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

[...]

Find the kid, glue the offending foot in place and slice off flush.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

LOL! That would put an end to that nonsense, eh?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 21:56:15 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

1.) I think there is a latex coating which helps concrete stick to concrete.

Here in Ontario, the proper surface pre-treatment is called ALBITOL.
It looks like a slightly thick white milk, and may well be a latex
concoction.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus23835" wrote in message
We just redid our driveway, patio etc with new concrete. It is 6"
gravel, 6" concrete with wire mesh on the driveway and 5+5, no wire
mesh, elsewhere.

Unfortunately, a kid stepped on one place on the driveway and there is
a imprint of his step about 5mm deep or so. My wife is livid about
this, as she is wont to be in general.

So, I am thinking if I can fill the hole.

My idea was to take a solid epoxy 100% solids from raka.com, which I
have, mix with portland cement for color, and apply to the imprint. It
is very clean right now and is not contaminated with oil etc.

Would this work or not? It is in the worst part of the driveway (next
to the road). We have snow, ice, salt, etc.

No matter what kind of patch you do, it will not match the original.
Personally I don't think it is much of a problem. I have seen concrete jobs
where they deliberately put the kids hand prints in the cement. So you
could adopt the kid or get a new wife.

Another course of action would be to have that section cut out and then have
an identical section at the other side cut out so they look symmetrical.
Refill with tile,or a paver, or a different color concrete. As someone else
suggested, cut out the foot print and put new concrete in with your house
numbers etched into the concrete or use some bronze numbers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

[...]

I'd go for that. I've patched the old concrete on my walks numerous times,
trying to find something that will last and match. Getting it to last is not
hard. Getting it to match is almost impossible, in my experience.

As for getting it to last, I haven't had much luck with the cheap patching
concrete from Home Depot. The best luck I've had is in using a polymer
bonding "paint" followed by a high-quality, polymer-modified patching
concrete that I got from a professional mason. It's still there after eight
or nine years.

I etch my old concrete with muriatic acid but that isn't necessary with
fresh concrete. That does seem to make a difference when you have to feather
the edges of the patch. But I prefer to undercut the old concrete rather
than feather. In fact, I have a job like that facing me right now, before it
gets cold.

Sinking a bronze or tile marker of some kind into the concrete sounds good
to me. Then I *would* use epoxy, to bond it in place. But I'd make sure it
was a close fit to begin with.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

No, no, clearly the only wife acceptable solution will require applying
an additional 1" of concrete to the entire driveway so there are no
areas that don't match. While he's at it he needs to have it colored and
stamped to look like stone.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Wait 'till she watches that 1" layer delaminate. g It's very difficult to
make thin layers of concrete stand up. There are some fancy, modified
concretes made for the job, but I've seen some "veneers" applied like that
in my town, by knowledgeable people, and I'm not impressed with the results.

I live in an old town with big trees whose roots knock the hell out of
sidewalks. It's like an experiment in concrete repair, and the results often
aren't pretty. Mud jacking works pretty well, but a lot of the old concrete
is weak to begin with and it cracks.

I'm thinking of using bricks for my front sidewalk, set in sand. It's short,
and there's a really big maple, 74 years old, right on the edge of the
sidewalk. There's no way you can keep concrete intact there for very long.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 2007-10-06, John Grabowski wrote:
No matter what kind of patch you do, it will not match the original.
Personally I don't think it is much of a problem. I have seen concrete jobs
where they deliberately put the kids hand prints in the cement. So you
could adopt the kid or get a new wife.

I do not think that it is a problem either.

The kid is mine.

No comment on wife.

Another course of action would be to have that section cut out and then have
an identical section at the other side cut out so they look symmetrical.
Refill with tile,or a paver, or a different color concrete. As someone else
suggested, cut out the foot print and put new concrete in with your house
numbers etched into the concrete or use some bronze numbers.

I will just leave it as is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Ed Huntress wrote:
... It's very difficult to
make thin layers of concrete stand up. There are some fancy, modified
concretes made for the job, ...

My brother's a civil engineer and he was telling me about a bridge job
that he was on that got screwed up and the fix required a very thin,
tapering layer of "concrete". It was $3000 a yard!

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 2007-10-06, John Grabowski wrote:

No matter what kind of patch you do, it will not match the original.
Personally I don't think it is much of a problem. I have seen concrete jobs
where they deliberately put the kids hand prints in the cement. So you
could adopt the kid or get a new wife.

I do not think that it is a problem either.

The kid is mine.

No comment on wife.

Another course of action would be to have that section cut out and then have
an identical section at the other side cut out so they look symmetrical.
Refill with tile,or a paver, or a different color concrete. As someone else
suggested, cut out the foot print and put new concrete in with your house
numbers etched into the concrete or use some bronze numbers.

I will just leave it as is.

After the kid leaves home, your wife will always have that reminder of a
young boy that is now gone.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

I grew up in a little town in the midwest, and our sidewalks were as
broken and uneven as hell from all the tree roots. I think that gives a
sidewalk character. Where I am now, in Plasticville, they cut down trees
that interfere with a sidewalk, partly out of fear that someone will sue
if he trips. Makes me sick to see a sidewalk given priority over a tree.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Ed Huntress wrote:

news:ivOdnWPjTZcgGpvanZ2dnUVZ_ternZ2d@giganews .com...

[...]

Used bricks work well and can easily be repaired if necessary. For
driveways the 'paver' blocks work out very well and will withstand the
heavier load of the vehicles. Glen Gerry is one brand of pavers. They
have a big factory on RT 61 in PA near Shoemakersville. A friend of mine
just did his driveway and he located on a main road and has had a number
of inquiries on them. He is thinking about going into the business of
installing them.

John

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 2007-10-06, John Grabowski wrote:

No matter what kind of patch you do, it will not match the original.
Personally I don't think it is much of a problem. I have seen concrete jobs
where they deliberately put the kids hand prints in the cement. So you
could adopt the kid or get a new wife.

I do not think that it is a problem either.

The kid is mine.

No comment on wife.

Another course of action would be to have that section cut out and then have
an identical section at the other side cut out so they look symmetrical.
Refill with tile,or a paver, or a different color concrete. As someone else
suggested, cut out the foot print and put new concrete in with your house
numbers etched into the concrete or use some bronze numbers.

I will just leave it as is.

Cut the print out and bond some ceramic tile with your initials in the
cutout..

When you sell the house offer to place the tile with the new owners
initials as a selling point

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

It sounds like Iggy's concrete is still pretty "green", so with a spray
of bonding agent first I expect the additional layer would stick just
fine.

I live in an old town with big trees whose roots knock the hell out of
sidewalks. It's like an experiment in concrete repair, and the results often
aren't pretty. Mud jacking works pretty well, but a lot of the old concrete
is weak to begin with and it cracks.

I'm thinking of using bricks for my front sidewalk, set in sand. It's short,
and there's a really big maple, 74 years old, right on the edge of the
sidewalk. There's no way you can keep concrete intact there for very long.

No good answers for that problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

After the kid leaves home, your wife will always have that reminder of a
young boy that is now gone.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Years ago when my sons and I poured the apron for the rear door of my shop
we all put our hand prints in the wet concrete. Now, 17 years later I get
teary eyed when I look at the size of their handprints and think of the good
times I had with my kids doing projects like that together. My three boys
are 25, 200 and 1700 miles from home with their own families and don't have
much time to hang out with Pa. Miss the kids but I like this new life too.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"john" wrote: Cut the print out...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
....and frame it. Your kid could give it to your wife as a mother's day
present.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
... It's very difficult to
make thin layers of concrete stand up. There are some fancy, modified
concretes made for the job, ...

My brother's a civil engineer and he was telling me about a bridge job
that he was on that got screwed up and the fix required a very thin,
tapering layer of "concrete". It was $3000 a yard!

Hmm. Diamond-filled?

That kind of upends the idea of concrete as a cheap material.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"john" wrote: Cut the print out...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
...and frame it. Your kid could give it to your wife as a mother's day
present.

Better yet, give it to the kid for his birthday present.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"john" wrote in message

snip

Used bricks work well and can easily be repaired if necessary. For
driveways the 'paver' blocks work out very well and will withstand the
heavier load of the vehicles. Glen Gerry is one brand of pavers. They
have a big factory on RT 61 in PA near Shoemakersville. A friend of mine
just did his driveway and he located on a main road and has had a number
of inquiries on them. He is thinking about going into the business of
installing them.

John

Oh, yeah. I drive out I-78 regularly. If I had a pickup I probably could
save some money by getting them there.

I've installed pavers in sand around a swimming pool (my parents', not
mine), and it was a pretty good solution to ground that kept settling and to
roots that kept heaving. Every year I'd adjust a few bricks.

Maybe next spring.

--
Ed Huntress

Concrete driveway cleaning and patching miamicuse Home Repair 6 December 22nd 13 12:10 AM
patching large hole in concrete wall Rald Home Ownership 0 September 7th 05 12:41 AM
concrete patching Home Repair 1 August 5th 05 10:55 PM
'patching' a concrete floor Neal Harwood UK diy 11 October 3rd 04 01:03 PM