Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Fan...Should it hang or be flush mounted?? DIY Guru advice/suggestions needed,....

The ceiling in my bedroom is about 8 or 9 foot in height ( guessing.)
It is not straight up though. The walls are straight up to the height
of a normal ceiling then the ceiling slants inward all around the room
giving about another 2 or 3 feet in height. Kind of like a vault
maybe. Sorry I cannot describe it better but I don't know the
technical terms.

Regardless, I have a cheap ceiling fan in the room that was there when
I purchased the house. Very cheap, but it works well enough. It is
the kind that hangs about 1.5 - 2 feet from the ceiling.
I also have a new in the box expensive fan that I was going to install
in my old house, never did so brought it to my new home. I've had it
too long to take back. It is a gorgeous fan....I really like it. MY
CONCERN is that the fan is a flush mount (?term?).

If I take down the hanging fan and put in a flush mount would I be
making some kind of DIY Faux Pas? I installed the same fan in my old
home and it gave an excellent breeze and air circulation. Will it
make that much of a difference being flush mounted instead of hanging?

I actually like the flush mount look better.
But, if it should completely suck at moving air, is it simple to make
it into a hanging fan, or is this not possible?

I really think I failed at expressing myself very well, but I hope you
are able to infer what I mean and provide advice to help me.
So I would like to thank anyone taking the time to answer me,
whether or not your advice is helpful, or just a flame, I thank you.

Bonnie P!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 01:56:54 -0400, Bonnie
wrote:

[...]

The flush mount fan may not circulate the air quite as well perhaps as
the one hanging on a downrod, but it will be fine. It may also be a
little noisier because it is closer to the ceiling, but it is quite
common for fans in bedrooms to be flush mounted. All of mine are
flush mounted and work just fine.

As another option, many fans can be converted from one mounting style
to another; it usually just involves an extra downrod and a trim piece
or two. Check with where you bought it or the manufacturer to see if
the parts are available.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Wouldn't there be extensions for such fans? Just bought a Hunter here and
had several mounting options, including flush.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

From my experience having hung hundreds of fans on various types and heights
of ceilings, true flush mount fans, the type that can only be hung flat on a
ceiling, tend to move considerably less air than even short stem mounted
fans. In your case, with a high tray ceiling, I think it would not be
advisable. Decent fans are not very expensive, so I would get something with
a stem, and maybe use the flush fan in another location

"Bonnie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you Paul and Franz for your help.
As Paul suggested, I think I will indeed try the flush mount since I
know now that I am not breaking any DIY laws.
If the fan fails to reform in a worth while manner, then I'll see
about getting the extra pieces to make it hang.

Again, thank you. Both of the comments I received were helpful.
No flames yet. Too early I guess.

Bonnie P.

The flush mount fan may not circulate the air quite as well perhaps as
the one hanging on a downrod, but it will be fine. It may also be a
little noisier because it is closer to the ceiling, but it is quite
common for fans in bedrooms to be flush mounted. All of mine are
flush mounted and work just fine.

As another option, many fans can be converted from one mounting style
to another; it usually just involves an extra downrod and a trim piece
or two. Check with where you bought it or the manufacturer to see if
the parts are available.

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Bonnie wrote:

If the fan fails to reform in a worth while manner, then I'll see
about getting the extra pieces to make it hang.

Well said.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Who is the manufacturer of the fan? depending on the manufacturer, downrods
may be available in varying lengths.

http://www.lightingforum.com/ceiling...fans_index.htm a site for
quality ceiling fans.

"Bonnie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 10:06 pm, "AB" wrote:
Who is the manufacturer of the fan? depending on the manufacturer, downrods
may be available in varying lengths.

http://www.lightingforum.com/ceiling...ans_index.htma site for
quality ceiling fans.

"Bonnie" wrote in message

[...]

Bonnie P!- Hide quoted text -

In my experience, flush mounted move less air. However, for a
bedroom, depending on the size and location of the bed, this may not
be much of an issue. I have a flush mount on a normal ceiling and
only need it on the lowest setting when I use it, which is when
sleeping.