Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flush mounted mirror hangers

I've used some picture/mirror hangers that allow things to be hung
flush to the wall, and I'd like to get some for myself. These are
round metal ones that sit in a shallow hole drilled with a ~1"
forstner bit. The idea is that you put a screw in the wall, then slip
the metal hanger over the top of it, and as you drop it on it pulls it
tight to the wall. Basically it's a round metal disk with a hole in
the center. Does anyone know where I can get them? Or even what I'm
talking about?!

Thanks.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
I've used some picture/mirror hangers that allow things to be hung
flush to the wall, and I'd like to get some for myself. These are
round metal ones that sit in a shallow hole drilled with a ~1"
forstner bit. The idea is that you put a screw in the wall, then slip
the metal hanger over the top of it, and as you drop it on it pulls it
tight to the wall. Basically it's a round metal disk with a hole in
the center. Does anyone know where I can get them? Or even what I'm
talking about?!

Thanks.
JP

It sounds like a "keyhole fastener":

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...filter=keyhole

although I haven't seen them in a round form.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
TT TT is offline

Keyhole slots? Woodcraft (along with many others) sells them. The
ones I've used aren't round, but oval shaped, but essentially do what
you're describing.

TT

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:06:56 -0700, Jay Pique
wrote:

I've used some picture/mirror hangers that allow things to be hung
flush to the wall, and I'd like to get some for myself. These are
round metal ones that sit in a shallow hole drilled with a ~1"
forstner bit. The idea is that you put a screw in the wall, then slip
the metal hanger over the top of it, and as you drop it on it pulls it
tight to the wall. Basically it's a round metal disk with a hole in
the center. Does anyone know where I can get them? Or even what I'm
talking about?!

Thanks.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, they are exactly like those you've shown, only they're circular
in shape, allowing for simple(r) mortising with a forstner bit.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, they are exactly like those you've shown, only they're circular
in shape, allowing for simple(r) mortising with a forstner bit.

I'm assuming you've seen the router bits that let you do the same
thing without separate hardware? Such as:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46176&ap=1
If that won't work, I remember seeing a "shop tip" somewhere (a mag?
here? online? can't recall...) that basically used a fender washer to
accomplish the purpose you describe. That alone might work if you're
mounting on a screw or something with a larger head (i.e. not a finish
nail), or you could file/mill a slot on the inside rim of the washer
to make a keyhole slot. Either way, you'd just need to drill out a
clearance hole, then a shallow countersink for the washer, and you're
set.
It makes sense in my head - let me know if you want me to try to
explain it in more detail.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 13, 7:21 am, "Mike Dempsey"
wrote:
Craft supplies in the UK sell them online. I use a 26mm forstner bit to
drill the hole for them"TT" wrote in message

Thanks Mike. I just figured out where we got them here in the
states. We actually purchased them to secure balusters for railings,
and are available from Fasteners Unlimited. I find them to be much
quicker to install than traditional keyhole hangers - like you said, a
simple 1" forstner bit does the trick.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
: On Jun 13, 7:21 am, "Mike Dempsey"
: wrote:
: Craft supplies in the UK sell them online. I use a 26mm forstner bit to
: drill the hole for them"TT" wrote in message

: Thanks Mike. I just figured out where we got them here in the
: states.

Where do you get them?

-- andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 16, 3:49 pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

: On Jun 13, 7:21 am, "Mike Dempsey" : wrote:

: Craft supplies in the UK sell them online. I use a 26mm forstner bit to
: drill the hole for them"TT" wrote in message

: Thanks Mike. I just figured out where we got them here in the
: states.

Where do you get them?

Fasteners Unlimited.
JP