Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag washer tub leak/repair

I have a Maytag stackable unit and the washer leaks. I took the front off
the washer and the leak is clearly at the bottom of the tub. According to
the model number LSE7806ACE, a repair website suggests three items to remedy
what seems to be a seal. One, of course is the seal (kit) and a bearing kit
and a spanner tool to get the tub nut off and on. The parts are about
175.00 including shipping. The washer/dryer unit is about 8 years old and
this is the first issue I've encountered. A new stackable unit is about
900.00.

Question? How does one go about changing the seal and bearings? From
inside the carcass? From inside the tub? From the back, the front...? I'm
pretty mechanical but have no idea where to start dismantling this beast.

Any input on old washing machine econony vs new washer? Is this seal a
death knell or a precursor to more crap soon down the road?
Thanks
Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 12:02 am, "perrylep" wrote:
[...]

I had my washer leak last year and I believed it was coming from the
seal. Rather than take a chance and go through the trouble repairing
it and possible still have the leak there, I just bought another
washer, $350. I did not even get an extended warranty, figured was not
worth it. The way they make washers today is basically when it goes
bad just throw them out and get a new one. Mine was about 7 years old.
In your case is different. You have a stackable. I don't think
changing a seal( if that is the problem) is something for the average
DIY person to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok...let's assume that I'm a bit more talented than the average bloke,
mechanically. And then back to my original question..as to how to approach
this repair?
I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Anyone else?
Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 11:14 pm, Mikepier wrote:
[...]

DIY person to do.- Hide quoted text -

Happy to report that a local supply had all the necessary parts and
tool...I
google and found a step by step set of instructions...the first part
of the
task was to remove the first locknut under agitator..it was so
corroded that
the wrench approach, after about 45 minutes of banging was futile..I
cut the
nut off with a dremel. Everything else was matter of fact.
I can certainly understand how that job would rack up a lot of labor
cost...someone knowledgeable would do it faster, but still, there's
lots of
laborious steps...awkward, heavy parts. I don't know exactly how much
saved myself, but it took me about 2 hours, but I went slow and
double
checked each step.
One final instruction was to run the washing machine through a spin
cyle for
a few minutes before you attempt a wash cycle...
While inside the carcass of the washer, inspected hoses, clamps,
connections, etc. and all looked ok.
Most women wouldn't tackle something like this, but if I had to wait
on my
husband, I'd be still waiting....I'm glad it's done and I'm back to
being
the washer woman.
Perry