Posted to alt.home.repair
perrylep perrylep is offline

Default Maytag washer tub leak/repair

I have a Maytag stackable unit and the washer leaks. I took the front off
the washer and the leak is clearly at the bottom of the tub. According to
the model number LSE7806ACE, a repair website suggests three items to remedy
what seems to be a seal. One, of course is the seal (kit) and a bearing kit
and a spanner tool to get the tub nut off and on. The parts are about
175.00 including shipping. The washer/dryer unit is about 8 years old and
this is the first issue I've encountered. A new stackable unit is about
900.00.

Question? How does one go about changing the seal and bearings? From
inside the carcass? From inside the tub? From the back, the front...? I'm
pretty mechanical but have no idea where to start dismantling this beast.

Any input on old washing machine econony vs new washer? Is this seal a
death knell or a precursor to more crap soon down the road?
Thanks
Perry