Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to do with used mower - suggestions please

Well, if no other apparent use comes up, you might consider donating it to a
school / place where students could learn more about small engine repair,
etc. Or perhaps advertise it in a local swap sheet, craigslist.org, or local
newspaper / bulletin boards to see if somebody can use it for hauling things
or other purposes. Maybe a non-Sears / Kohler dealer may pay you to buy it
for parts?

Smarty

"Bob" wrote in message
news
I am buying a new riding mower to replace my eleven year old Craftsman
mower, and I don't know what to do with the old one.

Actually, the Craftsman was a pretty good mower, but parts were very
expensive, plus I had to drive fifty miles (one way) to a Sears service
store, and usually they had to order the part and charged about as much
for shipping as the part cost. I'll not get another Craftsman mower.

The Kohler 15 HP engine runs good, starts easy, and no problems. I tried
to think of some way to use the engine, but can't come up with a good use.
The drive mechanism (hydrostatic) works fine, have never had a problem
with it.

The reason I'm replacing the mower is that the deck is worn out.

I thought about just removing the deck and using the rest as just a
tractor, but have very little use for one.
Any suggestions on what I could do with the old mower?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Bob-tx- Hide quoted text -

try to find out who originally really manufactured your rider. Might
be MTD, in any case not only is sears service gouge priced, but parts
are often 3 times the cost if bought directly from the original
manufacturer.

take a photo of your mower to some local lawn mower shops you may be
pleasantly surprised at the lower price of parts

Sears has turned into a ripoff organization they charge 2 travel
charges to have the SAME tech service a furnace with air......

companies who rip consumers that way need to die!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 03:27:17 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

[...]

Sell it on a radio swap-shop program. Mowers are currently
"out-of-season" in most parts and have a low price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
[...]

Strip it down, hop it up and enter it in the
lawn mower races. Demolition if they got it
in your area.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ill buy the motor !~!!!!!
kust kidding, the freight would be terrible .
seriously , kohler engines are not cheap, and if its in good shape
im sure you get some cash for it ,

e-bay and sell it for parts ,

"Bob" wrote:
I am buying a new riding mower to replace my eleven year old ICraftsman

mower, and I don't know what to do with the old one. aActually, the Craftsman
was a pretty good mower, but parts were very sexpensive, plus I had to drive
fifty miles (one way) to a Sears .service store, and usually they had to order
the part and charged about as much for shipping as the part cost. I'll not
get another Craftsman mower..
The Kohler 15 HP engine runs good, starts easy, and no problems. I ltried to
think of some way to use the engine, but can't come up with oa good use.tThe
drive mechanism (hydrostatic) works fine, have never had a

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 4:27 am, "Bob" wrote:
[...]

Pop the engine out and build a hovercraft or
dune buggy.

http://www.diyden.net/index.html

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 4:27 am, "Bob" wrote:
[...]

Pull the engine and mount it to a piece of 3/4" plywood. Have it turn
a belt with an alternator or two that are hooked up to a car battery,
running in parallel with an AC inverter. Use it as a generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
[...]

I replaced the mower deck shell on my 1994 Craftsman last year due to
rust & fatigue(42" AYP/Roper/Electrolux). I transferred all of the
hardware to the new shell, the part cost was about $112 not including
the AYP spindle/quill reinforcing "rings" that I sourced a few years ago.

If I had your mower, I would part out the drive system and use the
engine, frame, fuel, & electrical system to build a nice stationary
generator with a belt driven generator head from Northern Hydraulics.
You might have to make minor pulley size adjustments, but you have the
infrastructure for a nice electric start Kohler-powered 8000 watts +
home generator.

Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/25/2007 5:27 AM Bob said the following:
[...]

Put it out by the curb with a "Free" sign on it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

jkroschel wrote:

Pull the engine and mount it to a piece of 3/4" plywood. Have it turn
a belt with an alternator or two that are hooked up to a car battery,
running in parallel with an AC inverter. Use it as a generator.

Very good idea. There are plans and suggestions on the 'net for sizing
(battery and alternator ratings, etc.) along with pully sizes for
appropriate RPMs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jkroschel wrote:
On Sep 25, 4:27 am, "Bob" wrote:
[...]

That would be a waste of power - 8000 watt inverters are very expensive
- and 15hp is a lot of power & heat to bolt down to a hunk of 3/4 ply.
Reserve the steel frame & do the project right with a generator head.

Keep the plywood project to a 3.5 hp surplus engine.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

No, people figure 'free' = 'worthless'. Put 'For Sale- $50' on it, and leave
it out when house is obviously empty or overnight. If an honest person wants
it, they will knock on the door or come back, and if a dishonest person
hauls it off at 2 am, well, your problem is solved.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
[...]

If you're in or near a major metro area, put it up for sale on
Craigslist as a "for parts" unit at $95.00.

That's just what I did with my 30 year old Snapper rider when I treated
myself to a brand new one last year.

Mine sold the first day the ad ran.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

First you may want to keep it to make sure you don't want to
use it as a backup or for trimming etc. Second, if it is any
good, why not sell it.

What do you mean the deck is "worn out?" If it is rusted out,
you basically have trash.

--
Joseph Meehan

By worn out, I mean blade spindle bearings nearly gone. Blades run
at an angle based on the belt tension pulling the spindles. Most
bearings in belt path are worn badly. The deck steel is rather
light and beat up and patched. New deck about $750 + shipping.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Bob" wrote in message
news
I am buying a new riding mower to replace my eleven year old
Craftsman mower, and I don't know what to do with the old one.

snip.

The Kohler 15 HP engine runs good, starts easy, and no problems.
I tried to think of some way to use the engine, but can't come up
with a good use.
The drive mechanism (hydrostatic) works fine, have never had a
problem with it.

The reason I'm replacing the mower is that the deck is worn out.

Thanks, Bob-tx

You guys gave me some good ideas and a couple smiles. Thanks
Also thought about removing the deck and just keeping the darn thing
for visiting grandkids to ride around on and learn to drive and
respect
machinery.
Thanks again for the ideas.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

The spindles/quills are probably fine - it's just the deck that's
flexing. If it was the bearings, there would lots of very objectionable
noise & smoke & shards of metal/debris, and the belt tension wouldn't
make a difference(you may have compound issues, though). The upper &
lower bearings are available separately, and with the spindle shaft(s).
They are easy to knock out & replace.

The shell only needs to be replaced, not the whole deck. It's about a 1
hour job(with the deck off) using an impact tool.

I have used http://www.jackssmallengines.com/ with great satisfaction
for replacement parts - very easy if you have the Sears/AYP/Electrolux
part number to start with.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

i put em out by the road with a free sign on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've put mine out alongside a fairly used highway with a large FREE sign on it.
It's gone in five minutes, for the 3 times I've done it.

If you want to be a helpful guy, write on the sign what's wrong with it.
Might as well go to somebody who can use it.