Posted to alt.home.repair
O O is offline

Default Replacing old AC units....Fridgidaire any good?

Time to replace a pair of 20 year old AC units (split system - replacing
inside and outside components) and all the old ductwork. My AC man is
recommending Fridgidaire units with a 16 SEER rating.

I've never had anything made by Fridgidaire so I was wondering about their
quaility / longetivity / etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"O" wrote in message
. net...
Time to replace a pair of 20 year old AC units (split system - replacing
inside and outside components) and all the old ductwork. My AC man is
recommending Fridgidaire units with a 16 SEER rating.

I've never had anything made by Fridgidaire so I was wondering about their
quaility / longetivity / etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Find out who makes them. Frigidaire does not make the compressors for their
room AC units so find out who is behind the label. In this case, I'm
guessing someone is just using the name. They are not listed ont he
Frigidaire web page as a product.

Posted to alt.home.repair

O wrote:

Time to replace a pair of 20 year old AC units (split system - replacing
inside and outside components) and all the old ductwork. My AC man is
recommending Fridgidaire units with a 16 SEER rating.

I've never had anything made by Fridgidaire so I was wondering about their
quaility / longetivity / etc. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Depending on your climate a 14-SEER may do as well as a 16.
http://www.udarrell.com/eer_seer_ratings.htm

Regarding the ductwork:
http://www.udarrell.com/sizing_ac_duct.htm

DISCLAIMER:
I assume NO responsibility for the USE of any information I post on any
of my Web pages, in E-Mails or News Groups.
All HVAC/R work should always be done by a licensed Contractor &
properly licensed Techs! This information is only placed on these pages
primarily for your understanding & communication with contractors &
techs. This information is also for the edification of Contractors and
Techs. Never attempt anything that you are NOT competent to do in a SAFE
manner! I am NOT liable for your screw-ups, you are liable for what you
do! - Darrell Udelhoven - udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/ (Updated)
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
(* My Airconditioning Links, Hunting Shooting, Angus Cattle.)

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!

Posted to alt.home.repair
O O is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"O" wrote in message
. net...
Time to replace a pair of 20 year old AC units (split system - replacing
inside and outside components) and all the old ductwork. My AC man is
recommending Fridgidaire units with a 16 SEER rating.

I've never had anything made by Fridgidaire so I was wondering about
their quaility / longetivity / etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Find out who makes them. Frigidaire does not make the compressors for
their room AC units so find out who is behind the label. In this case,
I'm guessing someone is just using the name. They are not listed ont he
Frigidaire web page as a product.

They do have an AC web page he

http://www.frigidaire.net/

But it doesn't say who makes the compressors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

O wrote:

Time to replace a pair of 20 year old AC units (split system - replacing
inside and outside components) and all the old ductwork. My AC man is
recommending Fridgidaire units with a 16 SEER rating.

I've never had anything made by Fridgidaire so I was wondering about their
quaility / longetivity / etc. Any thoughts?

You may want to check the homeowner's forum at www.hvac-talk.com, but
read the messages first because your kind of question is asked a lot.

Don't bother with alt.hvac, where a consumer-hating psycho thinks he's
the moderator.

The most highly regarded central A/C systems are probably Trane/
American Standard and Rheem/Ruud. The ones disliked the most are
probably those made by Goodman, which includes Janitrol. If you're
in Arizona, consider Goettl, a local manufacturer. Be sure to find a
good contractor, one who will accurately estimate the size you need
and do high quality work. There's no reason to avoid the smaller
contractors, who actually have lower overhead than the large
companies, most of which pressure their people into selling more than
the customer needs, even when it comes to maintenance. OTOH do
strongly consider getting a 10-year _factory_ parts & labor warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"O" wrote in message
. net...

I'm guessing someone is just using the name. They are not listed ont he
Frigidaire web page as a product.

They do have an AC web page he

http://www.frigidaire.net/

But it doesn't say who makes the compressors.

Odd that they don't have a cross reference between the .com and .net web
sites. I wonder if they are still the same company, given the way the
Frigidaire name has been whored around since GM sold the division years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
O wrote:

[...]

Don't forget Coleman A/C units. They have a 13 SEER called a Micro Channel
which is designed to replace a existing R-22 system.

As long as you get the right contractor to do the job you will be OK with
about any brand out there.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician