Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Jeld-wen sash repair?

Hom\pefully someone can assist with this one?

I've purchased a home that has 18 rather large cottage style Jeld-Wen
windows. For whatever reason on two of them the bottom wood on the lower
sash has rotted. I've contacted my nearest dealer and they've stated that
I must purchase a sash replacement which includes the glass for a cost of
approx $600 each not including delivery and installation.

Is anyone familiar with insulated windows aware of a method to have someone
create a replacement piece to fit on the bottom of these sashes? Something
like a mill shop or anything? I hate to be cheap but there seems to be
nothing wrong with the glass and that seems like it would be the most
expensive portion of these 36 x 72" window units.

Any ideas or suggestions please?

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/23/2007 8:30 PM bobmct said the following:
Hom\pefully someone can assist with this one?

I've purchased a home that has 18 rather large cottage style Jeld-Wen
windows. For whatever reason on two of them the bottom wood on the lower
sash has rotted. I've contacted my nearest dealer and they've stated that
I must purchase a sash replacement which includes the glass for a cost of
approx $600 each not including delivery and installation.

Is anyone familiar with insulated windows aware of a method to have someone
create a replacement piece to fit on the bottom of these sashes? Something
like a mill shop or anything? I hate to be cheap but there seems to be
nothing wrong with the glass and that seems like it would be the most
expensive portion of these 36 x 72" window units.

Any ideas or suggestions please?

Bob

How old are the windows? Jeld-Wen has a 20 year warranty that is
transferable to new owners.
http://www.jeld-wen.com/_pdf/resourc...d_warranty.pdf

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Jeld-Wen windows - DO NOT BUY [email protected] Home Repair 4 October 1st 08 05:06 AM
Jeld-Wen windows - DO NOT BUY [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 17th 07 08:33 PM
jeld wen windows Zephyr Home Repair 3 February 5th 07 10:13 PM
Jeld Wen Ledbury Patio Door Kev UK diy 1 December 8th 06 06:37 PM
sash windows dave UK diy 8 September 12th 03 09:33 AM