Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Salvage wall tile

First time retiling a bathroom and I think I screwed up. I have about
18" of tile I put in above my soaking tub. The Lowes guy gave me 1/4"
spacers for the tile. I have the tile up (not grouted yet) and I'm
thinking the spacing is too big. So...I think I want to remove the
tile, replace the cement board and start over using 1/8" spacers. Is
there any way to salvage these tiles?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 10:20 am, The Other Mike wrote:
First time retiling a bathroom and I think I screwed up. I have about
18" of tile I put in above my soaking tub. The Lowes guy gave me 1/4"
spacers for the tile. I have the tile up (not grouted yet) and I'm
thinking the spacing is too big. So...I think I want to remove the
tile, replace the cement board and start over using 1/8" spacers. Is
there any way to salvage these tiles?

No, just be thankful you made the decision to demo/doover at 18 inches
instead of at 7 feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RickH wrote:
On Sep 17, 10:20 am, The Other Mike wrote:
First time retiling a bathroom and I think I screwed up. I have about
18" of tile I put in above my soaking tub. The Lowes guy gave me 1/4"
spacers for the tile. I have the tile up (not grouted yet) and I'm
thinking the spacing is too big. So...I think I want to remove the
tile, replace the cement board and start over using 1/8" spacers. Is
there any way to salvage these tiles?

No, just be thankful you made the decision to demo/doover at 18 inches
instead of at 7 feet.

Oh, it's _possible_, but probably not worth the effort unless they're
very expensive tile.

You can use a wire wheel on a grinder to remove the mastic if it has
hardened. If not yet hard, depends on what base it was (water or not)
as to appropriate solvent.

Of course, you'll probably have to redo the wall again, too, in order to
have a sufficiently flat and prepared surface to reinstall over...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:23:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

Oh, it's _possible_, but probably not worth the effort unless they're
very expensive tile.

You can use a wire wheel on a grinder to remove the mastic if it has
hardened. If not yet hard, depends on what base it was (water or not)
as to appropriate solvent.

Of course, you'll probably have to redo the wall again, too, in order to
have a sufficiently flat and prepared surface to reinstall over...

Yeah...decided to just start from scratch and gut everything...the
tile wasn't too expensive. Live and learn I guess...just glad I
hadn't done more then that before I realized it wasn't right.