Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need new bottom freezer fridge - which one?

We've been using bottom freezer refrigerators for many years. They've always
been Amana, mostly because when we first decided to get this type I couldn't
find any other brand but Amana. I've had three over the years. Left the
first one when we moved, that one was great. The next two Amanas were
problematic. Got rid of the first of these after a couple of years because
it was just a lemon. Couldn't hold temp, veggies would either not be cold
enough or freeze. The last one, which we still have, is several years old
but has started doing the same thing. The repair guy thinks it has a very
slow leak; the last three years it's had to be recharged every year. The
last time was just a month ago, and now it's either freezing the veggies or
not keeping them cold enough, depending on how it's set. There's no happy
medium. Oh, it's already had the temp control replaced. I'm just fed up with
it.

I know Amana is supposed to be known for their bottom freezers, but I'm
pretty sure I don't want another one. A search online shows KitchenAid and
LG now offering the type we like (single top door, single hinged - not slide
out - bottom door). Would like to hear if anyone has experience with any of
these, or others I may have missed. Looking for somewhere around 21 cu.ft.
capacity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Tony" wrote:

[...]

It's been a few years, but when I shopped for a bottom freezer, I was
told that they were all made by one company, and private labeled. May or
may not be true, but it makes sense, given the limited demand. (I ended
up with a standard top freezer.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 8, 10:49 am, "Tony" wrote:
[...]

Lots of solid information in Consumer Reports recently. There are some
real overpriced dogs on the market now, so be very cautious. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

we purchased an LG about 6 months ago and it has been a really good fridg.
it is a bottom freezer.

at this point, if I had it to do over again, i would probably get the same
fridge.
"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Amana, Maytag and Whirlpool all the same company. Basically you have a
choice between those, which are identical or LG which also makes some
Kenmore. I've heard parts problems with LG.

My Amana/Maytag bottom freezer with french doors is about 3 years old and
has been perfect so far. The LG looks kind of cheap and according to
Consumer Reports, cheated to get high energy star ratings.

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

By the way, Lowes sells their 4 year extended warranty (5 full years
guarantee) for $90 so consider buying there.

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dee Dee is offline

"Tony" wrote in
:

I know Amana is supposed to be known for their bottom freezers, but
I'm pretty sure I don't want another one. A search online shows
KitchenAid and LG now offering the type we like (single top door,
single hinged - not slide out - bottom door). Would like to hear if
anyone has experience with any of these, or others I may have missed.
Looking for somewhere around 21 cu.ft. capacity.

My KitchenAid bottom freezer is now 14 years old. It is still working very
well and, to date, has not needed any kind of repair.

Dee
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dee" wrote in message
om...
"Tony" wrote in
:

I know Amana is supposed to be known for their bottom freezers, but
I'm pretty sure I don't want another one. A search online shows
KitchenAid and LG now offering the type we like (single top door,
single hinged - not slide out - bottom door). Would like to hear if
anyone has experience with any of these, or others I may have missed.
Looking for somewhere around 21 cu.ft. capacity.

My KitchenAid bottom freezer is now 14 years old. It is still working
very
well and, to date, has not needed any kind of repair.

Dee

We have other KitchenAid appliances and have been pleased with them. I
wonder if the KitchenAid of today is the same as the KitchenAid of
yesterday. That is, do they still make their own appliances, or are they in
the Amana/Maytag/Whirlpool/LG/Kenmore/Sears/etc camp?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dee Dee is offline

"Tony" wrote in
news

"Dee" wrote in message
om...
"Tony" wrote in
:

I know Amana is supposed to be known for their bottom freezers, but
I'm pretty sure I don't want another one. A search online shows
KitchenAid and LG now offering the type we like (single top door,
single hinged - not slide out - bottom door). Would like to hear if
anyone has experience with any of these, or others I may have
missed. Looking for somewhere around 21 cu.ft. capacity.

My KitchenAid bottom freezer is now 14 years old. It is still
working very
well and, to date, has not needed any kind of repair.

Dee

We have other KitchenAid appliances and have been pleased with them. I
wonder if the KitchenAid of today is the same as the KitchenAid of
yesterday. That is, do they still make their own appliances, or are
they in the Amana/Maytag/Whirlpool/LG/Kenmore/Sears/etc camp?

That is a good question. I also have a KitchenAid washer and dryer that
are 15 years old, and both work very well. Who knows how much a company
can change in 15 years? But I am glad you posted about KitchenAid's
bottom freezers, because the last time I looked (a few years back) they had
stopped making them and I was not looking forward to the time when I would
have to replace this one with some other brand.

Dee
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 10:49 am, "Tony" wrote:
We've been using bottom freezer refrigerators for many years.

A search online shows KitchenAid and
LG now offering the type we like (single top door, single hinged - not slide
out - bottom door).

May I ask a question, please?

I don't have a bottom freezer 'frig, but whenever mine dies, and I
hope that's a loooong loooong time from now, I would like to have a
bottom model. My question is what is the difference or benefits of a
hinged bottom door vs. a slide out door?

Also, do you pack your items flat or on their side to see what's in
the freezer? That probably sounds like a silly question, but I've
always wanted to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 8, 10:49 am, "Tony" wrote:
We've been using bottom freezer refrigerators for many years.

A search online shows KitchenAid and
LG now offering the type we like (single top door, single hinged - not
slide
out - bottom door).

May I ask a question, please?

I don't have a bottom freezer 'frig, but whenever mine dies, and I
hope that's a loooong loooong time from now, I would like to have a
bottom model. My question is what is the difference or benefits of a
hinged bottom door vs. a slide out door?

Also, do you pack your items flat or on their side to see what's in
the freezer? That probably sounds like a silly question, but I've
always wanted to know.

A matter of personal preference, I guess. With a hinged door freezer (at
least on the Amana) you get one horizontal shelf. So you get two "shelf
areas (top/bottom)" to stock your frozen goods. My wife and I like that
because we only have to go to one or the other, depending on what we need.
You also get narrow shelf compartments in the door (like the fridge door),
good for small things. With a pull out drawer it seems like you'd have to be
a lot more careful about how you pile things in, lest you have to unpack the
whole basket to get something that may be on the bottom.

As to side to side versus stacked, I guess most of our stuff is stacked. A
few things are side to side. I guess we use both methods! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

. A search online shows KitchenAid and
LG now offering the type we like (single top door, single hinged - not
slide
out - bottom door). Would like to hear if anyone has experience with any
of
these, or others I may have missed. Looking for somewhere around 21
cu.ft.
capacity.

Our KitchenAid KBRA22 bottom (slide mount) is made by Amana as are the
similar Maytags. Ours has been working fine for 3 years

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have other KitchenAid appliances and have been pleased with them. I
wonder if the KitchenAid of today is the same as the KitchenAid of
yesterday.

KA is really Whirlpool..except for the re-branded Amana fridges I guess

Posted to alt.home.repair

My question is what is the difference or benefits of a hinged bottom
door vs. a slide out door?

The slide: one handed, pull it open and there the stuff is. The drawer is
actually a LARGE basket which has a top "drawer" (where the ice maker
is)inside
the slide that can be rolled back inside to acccess what may be below in the
bigger part..

You can often just pull it out maybe 6-12" to grab what you keep handy in
the top drawer (or ice cubes), then shove it closed with your leg (no hands)

The swing open type: IIRC you have to pull the door open 90 degrees to be
able to get at the pullout rack(s) if it has any

Also, do you pack your items flat or on their side to see what's in the
freezer?

Whichever way you like..when the drawer rolls out, you can see everything
thru the sides front of the basket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 03:59:32 GMT, "Rudy"
wrote:

. A search online shows KitchenAid and
LG now offering the type we like (single top door, single hinged - not
slide
out - bottom door). Would like to hear if anyone has experience with any
of
these, or others I may have missed. Looking for somewhere around 21
cu.ft.
capacity.

Our KitchenAid KBRA22 bottom (slide mount) is made by Amana as are the
similar Maytags. Ours has been working fine for 3 years

KitchenAid, Amana, Maytag, Roper and Whirlpool (along with some lessor
known brands) are ALL made by the Whirlpool Corp.

As far as I know, there are only three residential refrigerator
manufacturers left in the USA:

Whirlpool Corp.

General Electric

Frigidaire div of Electrolux (USA made, Swedish owned).

I'm not counting what I consider to be commercial equipment
manufacturers who make a residential version such as Sub-Zero.

Some like LG (Korean) and Haier (Chinese) have some assembly
operations in the USA. There's also a smattering of stuff from Germany
and Italy, mostly smaller units.

Sears Kenmore appliances are made by whoever has supplied Sears with
the best contract. Most of the Kenmore refrigerators are made by
Whirlpool.

More and more often brand names are irrelevent. Most of the major
components such as compressors are made under contract with other
manufacturers.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

The freezer door on the LG is the most interesting though I would probably
not buy one based on distribution problems for parts.

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 8, 10:49 am, "Tony" wrote:
We've been using bottom freezer refrigerators for many years.

A search online shows KitchenAid and
LG now offering the type we like (single top door, single hinged - not
slide
out - bottom door).

May I ask a question, please?

I don't have a bottom freezer 'frig, but whenever mine dies, and I
hope that's a loooong loooong time from now, I would like to have a
bottom model. My question is what is the difference or benefits of a
hinged bottom door vs. a slide out door?

Also, do you pack your items flat or on their side to see what's in
the freezer? That probably sounds like a silly question, but I've
always wanted to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the LG single top door, bottom freezer with door (not drawer),
and I love it. I've been using it for two years. So far, it has held
the temperature in both compartments just right; I don't even have to
adjust for summer. I like the convenience of the two pull-out bins in
the the freezer (and I'm not sure why anyone would think having to
have the freezer door open all the way to pull them out would be
problem -- if you have the clearance to pull out a large freezer
drawer, it seems as though you would have the clearance to open a
door). I don't have the icemaker connected, so can't comment on that
except to say the ice bin is exactly the right size to hold a full bag
of ice cubes. I like the way the shelves in both the refrigerator
compartment and on the refrigerator door adjust (very easy). I did a
lot of research before buying this one, and if I had to do it again,
I'd probably get exactly the same model.

Jo Ann

On Sep 10, 1:51 am, "Art" wrote:
The freezer door on the LG is the most interesting though I would probably
not buy one based on distribution problems for parts.

wrote in message

ups.com...

On Sep 8, 10:49 am, "Tony" wrote:
We've been using bottom freezer refrigerators for many years.

A search online shows KitchenAid and
LG now offering the type we like (single top door, single hinged - not
slide
out - bottom door).

May I ask a question, please?

I don't have a bottom freezer 'frig, but whenever mine dies, and I
hope that's a loooong loooong time from now, I would like to have a
bottom model. My question is what is the difference or benefits of a
hinged bottom door vs. a slide out door?

Also, do you pack your items flat or on their side to see what's in
the freezer? That probably sounds like a silly question, but I've
always wanted to know.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

By the way, according to Consumer Reports the LG cheated on energy tests.
LG new the standard test was a certain ambient temperature (I think 80
degrees) so their refrigerators turned off the anti sweat door heaters at
that temperature. After Consumer Reports figured it out they lowered their
rating a bit.

ups.com...

On Sep 10, 1:51 am, "Art" wrote:
The freezer door on the LG is the most interesting though I would
probably
not buy one based on distribution problems for parts.

wrote in message

ups.com...

On Sep 8, 10:49 am, "Tony" wrote:
We've been using bottom freezer refrigerators for many years.

A search online shows KitchenAid and
LG now offering the type we like (single top door, single hinged - not
slide
out - bottom door).

May I ask a question, please?

I don't have a bottom freezer 'frig, but whenever mine dies, and I
hope that's a loooong loooong time from now, I would like to have a
bottom model. My question is what is the difference or benefits of a
hinged bottom door vs. a slide out door?

Also, do you pack your items flat or on their side to see what's in
the freezer? That probably sounds like a silly question, but I've
always wanted to know.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 2:34 am, "Art" wrote:
By the way, according to Consumer Reports the LG cheated on energy tests.
LG new the standard test was a certain ambient temperature (I think 80
degrees) so their refrigerators turned off the anti sweat door heaters at
that temperature. After Consumer Reports figured it out they lowered their
rating a bit.

"hillacc at yahoo.com" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Interesting -- I hadn't heard that. Probably "accidentally"
overlooked the article in my CR to avoid the cognitive dissonance
about my choice, LOL!

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I went to the library and read the CR issue. So what am I to think
that 3 out of the 5 top rated bottom freezers are Amana? I'm having a very
hard time believing that with the clunker I've been living with.