Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vibration Damping for DWV Hangers???

Home repair folks,

The plumber did a wonderful job installing our new sump pump and hung up
the DWV pipe with plastic J-hook hangers solidly to the basement ceiling
joists. When water flows thru the pipe, the whole floor vibrates and is
very noisy upstairs in the bedrooms. The pump itself is fairly quiet.
Just the pipe vibration is noisy.

Is there any such thing as a vibration damping pipe hanger? Maybe
something like a tailpipe hanger for a care, with a rubber section
between two clamps, only made for PVC pipe.

Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 7:52 pm, Mike wrote:
Home repair folks,

The plumber did a wonderful job installing our new sump pump and hung up
the DWV pipe with plastic J-hook hangers solidly to the basement ceiling
joists. When water flows thru the pipe, the whole floor vibrates and is
very noisy upstairs in the bedrooms. The pump itself is fairly quiet.
Just the pipe vibration is noisy.

Is there any such thing as a vibration damping pipe hanger? Maybe
something like a tailpipe hanger for a care, with a rubber section
between two clamps, only made for PVC pipe.

Any ideas?

Switch to cast iron

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:52:21 -0500, Mike wrote:

Home repair folks,

The plumber did a wonderful job installing our new sump pump and hung up
the DWV pipe with plastic J-hook hangers solidly to the basement ceiling
joists. When water flows thru the pipe, the whole floor vibrates and is
very noisy upstairs in the bedrooms. The pump itself is fairly quiet.
Just the pipe vibration is noisy.

Is there any such thing as a vibration damping pipe hanger? Maybe
something like a tailpipe hanger for a care, with a rubber section
between two clamps, only made for PVC pipe.

Any ideas?

Those tailpipe hangers for cars are just pieces of old tires. You can
get an old tire for free almost anywhere. Cut strips from the
sidewalls (not the steel belted tread). A saber saw will cut them.
Make the strips long enough to go from the joist around the pipe and
back to the joist. Screw the strip of tire to the joist with a washer
under the screw head. Drill a hole in the rubber strip just above the
pipe and put a bolt thru with washers on both ends. Put a nut on the
bolt and tighten. Use as many of these as there are plastic hangers.
Remove the plastic hangers and enjoy the quiet pump. Total cost, a
few screws, bolts nuts and washers, and maybe a saber saw blade.
Probably about the same price as a Big Mac, and much less fattening.

Gene
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Gene that is excellent suggestion
thanks I don't need any of that but I will definitely
try to remember that
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:52:21 -0500, Mike wrote:

Home repair folks,

The plumber did a wonderful job installing our new sump pump and hung up
the DWV pipe with plastic J-hook hangers solidly to the basement ceiling
joists. When water flows thru the pipe, the whole floor vibrates and is
very noisy upstairs in the bedrooms. The pump itself is fairly quiet.
Just the pipe vibration is noisy.

Is there any such thing as a vibration damping pipe hanger? Maybe
something like a tailpipe hanger for a care, with a rubber section
between two clamps, only made for PVC pipe.

Any ideas?

Those tailpipe hangers for cars are just pieces of old tires. You can
get an old tire for free almost anywhere. Cut strips from the
sidewalls (not the steel belted tread).

instead of doing that, cut a car floor mat up. Easier to cut, using only a
utility knife.

Or, what I would do is put a section of rubber hose in the plastic pipe near
the pump. Most likely the pump's vibration is being transmitted down the
pipe, so if you cut an inch or so out of the plastic & insert a rubber
"joiner" (I'm not sure what they're really called) the vibration problem
will go away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The plumber did a wonderful job installing our new sump pump and hung up
the DWV pipe with plastic J-hook hangers solidly to the basement ceiling
joists. When water flows thru the pipe, the whole floor vibrates and is
very noisy upstairs in the bedrooms. The pump itself is fairly quiet.
Just the pipe vibration is noisy.

Is it actual vibration, or does it sound like thunk, thunk, thunk sounds as
the pipe expands?

We had expansion noises where our plumbing passed under our master bedroom.
Everytime the dishwasher drained hot water, the pipes would "thunk, thunk,
thunk" as the pipe expanded from the hot water and jerked through the J-
hooks.

I eliminated the noise by replacing the "J-hooks" with "Zipsticks"

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipehangers.html

I wrapped a few turns of fiberglass insulation around the pipe, then
attached the Zipstick hangers.

We haven't had any noise problems since I switched to the Zipsticks.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies and ideas folks.

I appreciate the responses.

--
Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Sep, 00:08, wrote:
[...]

I used a few pieces conveyer belt material that a friend had lying
around to hang my Garage Door Opener. The boys, who live above it, say
it lessened the noise by more than half.