Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default Vibration Damping for DWV Hangers???

wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:52:21 -0500, Mike wrote:

Home repair folks,

The plumber did a wonderful job installing our new sump pump and hung up
the DWV pipe with plastic J-hook hangers solidly to the basement ceiling
joists. When water flows thru the pipe, the whole floor vibrates and is
very noisy upstairs in the bedrooms. The pump itself is fairly quiet.
Just the pipe vibration is noisy.

Is there any such thing as a vibration damping pipe hanger? Maybe
something like a tailpipe hanger for a care, with a rubber section
between two clamps, only made for PVC pipe.

Any ideas?

Those tailpipe hangers for cars are just pieces of old tires. You can
get an old tire for free almost anywhere. Cut strips from the
sidewalls (not the steel belted tread).

instead of doing that, cut a car floor mat up. Easier to cut, using only a
utility knife.

Or, what I would do is put a section of rubber hose in the plastic pipe near
the pump. Most likely the pump's vibration is being transmitted down the
pipe, so if you cut an inch or so out of the plastic & insert a rubber
"joiner" (I'm not sure what they're really called) the vibration problem
will go away.