Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Vibration Damping for DWV Hangers???

The plumber did a wonderful job installing our new sump pump and hung up
the DWV pipe with plastic J-hook hangers solidly to the basement ceiling
joists. When water flows thru the pipe, the whole floor vibrates and is
very noisy upstairs in the bedrooms. The pump itself is fairly quiet.
Just the pipe vibration is noisy.

Is it actual vibration, or does it sound like thunk, thunk, thunk sounds as
the pipe expands?

We had expansion noises where our plumbing passed under our master bedroom.
Everytime the dishwasher drained hot water, the pipes would "thunk, thunk,
thunk" as the pipe expanded from the hot water and jerked through the J-
hooks.

I eliminated the noise by replacing the "J-hooks" with "Zipsticks"

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipehangers.html

I wrapped a few turns of fiberglass insulation around the pipe, then
attached the Zipstick hangers.

We haven't had any noise problems since I switched to the Zipsticks.

Anthony