Posted to alt.home.repair

Default For the Electrical Contractors in the group.

What would be a good bid to change a fuse box to a breaker box. Here is the
situation, I am licensed electrician but I work for an electrician and I am
trying to get some sidework of my own. I have changed out panels while
working with the guy before and I know what I am doing. Here is the what the
job would entail. This guy has a 14 circuit fuse panel right next to the
main panel which has a disconnect in the main panel for the fuse box. All I
would have to do is shut off the breaker to the fuse box, disconnect all the
wires, pull out the box and replace with new panel. I asked the guy that I
work for if he would be interested in doing it but he just kinda blew me off
because he is busy with some of the other work we have going on and he takes
evening courses at college so he just acts like he doesn't have the time. I
am asking how to bid the job because when ever he bids jobs he makes sure
that I am not around so I don't hear what he quotes the people so I don't
feel shafted with what he pays me to do the labor. I understand that (it's
his business) but it doesn't help me to figure out what to bid on jobs that
he is not willing to do. Basically in a nutshell how would I bid this job.
Would I do a set price or would I charge by the hour plus material?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I would find out what the local hourly rate is,then from your experience
determine how long it will take to do the job, then add in material costs

"gorehound" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gorehound" wrote in message
What would be a good bid to change a fuse box to a breaker box. Here is
the situation, I am licensed electrician but I work for an electrician and
I am trying to get some sidework of my own. I have changed out panels
while working with the guy before and I know what I am doing.

If you know what you are doing, you also know how long it will take you. The
hourly rate is dependent o n location and local cost, but $60 to $100 an
hour is common. Figure your time plus materials.

Would I do a set price or would I charge by the hour plus material?

You can do by the hour, but most people want to know the actual cost
beforehand, or a least a very close estimate. Having done electrical work
you know how much time it will take. Be sure to consider travel time and
time to go get the materials. That is often charged at a lower rate because
in a big shop, a lower paid go-fer will do that work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

"gorehound" wrote in message
[...]

Do you know about R.S. Means estimating books? See
http://www.rsmeans.com/bookstore/booksearch.asp?d=6
Some libraries have them. When I did customer cost analyses, I started with
Means and then adjusted for local conditions -- usually a straight
percentage.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gorehound" wrote in message
[...]

There is a lot to consider when taking on side jobs. Obviously you want to
make it worth your while. Assuming that you have a truck, tools, and
insurance you need to calculate your overhead cost on an hourly basis. Then
throw in your labor costs for yourself which should include social security
payments. Figure out how many hours it will take to do the job and the time
spent picking up materials and traveling to the job site. Figure out your
material cost. Add all of this up and you should be able to come up with a
price that is profitable for you.

You can find out what the prevailing wage is in your area for journeyman
electricians and use that as a starting point for your labor costs. You
should be able to find this out by doing a search on the internet as I think
that the government has it posted somewhere for reference.

I think that most customers want a firm price up front and do not want to
pay by the hour. If there are some unknowns that you won't find out until
the job is started, just be up front and tell the customer that there may be
an extra charge for such and such.

When you are just starting out on your own there is a learning curve.
Customer service is important. Return calls, show up on time, do it right
the first time, be neat about your work, and clean up when finished.
Sometimes you may underbid, and other jobs you will make a decent profit.
Your best advertising is referrals from previous customers.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
There is a lot to consider when taking on side jobs. Obviously you want to
make it worth your while. Assuming that you have a truck, tools, and
insurance you need to calculate your overhead cost on an hourly basis.

Thanks for the reminder, John.
Oh, I did not mention, it should be YOUR truck and tools. The boss could
fire you if you use his.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a lot to consider when taking on side jobs. Obviously you want to
make it worth your while. Assuming that you have a truck, tools, and
insurance you need to calculate your overhead cost on an hourly basis.
Then
throw in your labor costs for yourself which should include social
security
payments. Figure out how many hours it will take to do the job and the
time
spent picking up materials and traveling to the job site. Figure out your
material cost. Add all of this up and you should be able to come up with
price that is profitable for you.

This is being done in his free time. My sense is that if he wasn't doing
this job he would be watching television.
Therefor it is based entirely on marginal cost. His insurance will cost the
same wether he is working or watching TV, so it is irrelevent.
His price should be something that is low enough to get the work, but high
enough to be a better use of his time than the TV.
You only figure in overhead when you are pretty well booked and only want
the best jobs. And even then you have to be very careful about it, for it
will lead to errors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 03:26:37 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

You only figure in overhead when you are pretty well booked and only want
the best jobs.

That has to be, hands down, the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You
either don't run a business or if you do then won't be for long.
Overhead gets figured into every call, period.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
[...]

Probably the #1 one reason why startup businesses fail. It is either a
business or it isn't. If he is working it isn't "free" time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TXVALVE wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 03:26:37 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

You only figure in overhead when you are pretty well booked and only want
the best jobs.

That has to be, hands down, the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You
either don't run a business or if you do then won't be for long.
Overhead gets figured into every call, period.

It is over your head, sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
. ..
Toller wrote:
[...]

Didn't you read the OP? He isn't a business; he works for an electrician.
He is looking to do some work in his free time. He has no overhead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:

Probably the #1 one reason why startup businesses fail. It is either a
business or it isn't. If he is working it isn't "free" time.

Didn't you read the OP? He isn't a business; he works for an electrician.
He is looking to do some work in his free time. He has no overhead.

I did. He wants to charge people to perform services for them. Thats a
business.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Toller wrote:
"George" wrote in message
. ..
Toller wrote:
[...]

As an employee, he has no liability insurance that will cover his
professional liability, etc., ...

His price should be something that is low enough to get the work, but
high enough to be a better use of his time than the TV.
You only figure in overhead when you are pretty well booked and only want
the best jobs. And even then you have to be very careful about it, for
it will lead to errors.

Probably the #1 one reason why startup businesses fail. It is either a
business or it isn't. If he is working it isn't "free" time.

Didn't you read the OP? He isn't a business; he works for an electrician.
He is looking to do some work in his free time. He has no overhead.

Well, unless he's going to do it "off the books", there's such things as
his liability insurance (he won't be doing "for pay" work w/o that,
surely?), business license(s) and whatever other fees may be applicable
in his jurisdiction, FICA and so on, ...

Of course, he can just "wing it" and hope nothing unexpected happens...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Toller wrote:
"George" wrote in message
. ..

--

As a matter of fact I do have Insurance on myself and I would like to start
a business of my own, but at the moment I don't know how to bid a job. Now I

Thanks for all of your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gorehound" wrote in message

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Toller wrote:
"George" wrote in message
. ..
Toller wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah, John you were a big help too.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

gorehound wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Toller wrote:

He is looking to do some work in his free time. He has no overhead.

Well, unless he's going to do it "off the books", there's such things
as his liability insurance (he won't be doing "for pay" work w/o that,
surely?), business license(s) and whatever other fees may be
applicable in his jurisdiction, FICA and so on, ...

Of course, he can just "wing it" and hope nothing unexpected happens...

As a matter of fact I do have Insurance on myself and I would like to
start a business of my own, but at the moment I don't know how to bid a
job. ...

In that case, I would recommend you look into the kinds of information
available from the SBA, etc., on business startup basics. Another good
source in most locales are the Community Colleges and Tech Schools who
generally have both incubation centers and training courses as well.
Depending on the kind of relationship you have w/ the fella' you're
working for, there might be some mentoring available there...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
Didn't you read the OP? He isn't a business; he works for an electrician.
He is looking to do some work in his free time. He has no overhead.

If he owns tools and drives to the job, he has overhead. If he writes out a
bill with a pen and paper, he has overhead.