Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sheetrock hug wrong sided out

The builder of my 40yo house put the backside of the sheetrock facing down
from our ceiling. My wife put a 3rd layer of paint on and the paint started
chipping. I've scraped about 1/2 the ceiling, trying to remove the old paint
and have torn the stuff out of the paperbacking. Short of hanging an entire
new ceiling of sheetrock does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

get a new contractor , and a lawyer ??????

"Peterce49" u37171@uwe wrote:
The builder of my 40yo house put the backside of the sheetrock facing

downEfrom our ceiling. My wife put a 3rd layer of paint on and the paint
startednchipping. I've scraped about 1/2 the ceiling, trying to remove the old
paintsand have torn the stuff out of the paperbacking. Short of hanging an
entireanew ceiling of sheetrock does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peterce49 wrote:

The builder of my 40yo house put the backside of the sheetrock facing down
from our ceiling. My wife put a 3rd layer of paint on and the paint started
chipping. I've scraped about 1/2 the ceiling, trying to remove the old paint
and have torn the stuff out of the paperbacking. Short of hanging an entire
new ceiling of sheetrock does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

After you get the peeling stuff off you can cover a multitude of ceiling
sins with "texture paint" applied with a roller.

If you think you'd like the rough look of a "textured ceiling", you
might give that approach some consideration.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 5:50 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , (The Freon Cowboy) wrote:

get a new contractor , and a lawyer ??????

Missed the "40yo" [ = forty years old] part, didja?

"Peterce49" u37171@uwe wrote:
The builder of my 40yo house put the backside of the sheetrock facing

downEfrom our ceiling. My wife put a 3rd layer of paint on and the paint
startednchipping. I've scraped about 1/2 the ceiling, trying to remove the old
paintsand have torn the stuff out of the paperbacking. Short of hanging an
entireanew ceiling of sheetrock does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

--
Regards,

its taken you 40 yrs to finally paint the drywall, or , how has it
been for 40 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

lol. sure did ;-)

(Doug Miller) wrote:
In article ,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 4, 5:08 pm, "Peterce49" u37171@uwe wrote:
The builder of my 40yo house put the backside of the sheetrock facing down
from our ceiling. My wife put a 3rd layer of paint on and the paint started
chipping. I've scraped about 1/2 the ceiling, trying to remove the old paint
and have torn the stuff out of the paperbacking. Short of hanging an entire
new ceiling of sheetrock does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Get some bids on replacement. You probably will be surprised at how
reasonable the cost is. Ceilings are best left to the pros who have
the lifts and other special tricks. A nicely primed and painted new
ceilng will brighten up the whole room, and perhaps your paintin' mate
will enjoy doing it on something worth while. You could then consider
some classy new crown molding for a luxury touch, which then would
have you springing for a new miter saw and... you get the picture.
HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Peterce49 wrote:

The builder of my 40yo house put the backside of the sheetrock facing
down
from our ceiling. My wife put a 3rd layer of paint on and the paint
started
chipping. I've scraped about 1/2 the ceiling, trying to remove the old
paint
and have torn the stuff out of the paperbacking. Short of hanging an
entire
new ceiling of sheetrock does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

After you get the peeling stuff off you can cover a multitude of ceiling
sins with "texture paint" applied with a roller.

DON'T try to peal more paper off. Skim coat is best to cover this rather
than textured paint. Cover the floors with tarps. Get a big bucket or
wheelbarrow and fill it with drywall mud. Water it down some and mix well.
Use a paint roller to roll on a layer of the watered down drywall mud.
Finish to your taste. This is a good base for stomp finish, which is
popular right now.

If you think you'd like the rough look of a "textured ceiling", you might
give that approach some consideration.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Sheetrock joint compound - wrong for small holes? Aaron Fude Home Repair 7 August 29th 07 04:28 AM
double sided tape C & E Woodworking 8 February 18th 07 02:33 AM
Use for 3-sided aquarium HeyBub Home Repair 2 August 23rd 06 06:30 PM
Making a 10 sided dome Joatman71 Metalworking 6 July 18th 05 11:51 PM
EIGHT-SIDED PLANTER J T Woodworking 0 November 15th 04 08:04 PM