Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Sheetrock hug wrong sided out

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Peterce49 wrote:

The builder of my 40yo house put the backside of the sheetrock facing
down
from our ceiling. My wife put a 3rd layer of paint on and the paint
started
chipping. I've scraped about 1/2 the ceiling, trying to remove the old
paint
and have torn the stuff out of the paperbacking. Short of hanging an
entire
new ceiling of sheetrock does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

After you get the peeling stuff off you can cover a multitude of ceiling
sins with "texture paint" applied with a roller.

DON'T try to peal more paper off. Skim coat is best to cover this rather
than textured paint. Cover the floors with tarps. Get a big bucket or
wheelbarrow and fill it with drywall mud. Water it down some and mix well.
Use a paint roller to roll on a layer of the watered down drywall mud.
Finish to your taste. This is a good base for stomp finish, which is
popular right now.

If you think you'd like the rough look of a "textured ceiling", you might
give that approach some consideration.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia