Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathtub leak

The bathtub on the 2nd floor is leaking onto the ceiling of the first floor.
I have removed enough wet drywall from that ceiling to be able to see the
bottom and the plumbing pipes of the 2nd floor bath tub. There is no water
leaking from the pipes, however when I leave the shower running for about 5
minutes water starts leakingdown on to the1st floor ceiling. I have checked
all the caulking and it does not seem to have any holes etc in it. The
shower has to be running for at least 5 to 7 minutes before it starts
leaking. Can you offer any suggestions?
Patt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Sep, 14:52, "Patt" wrote:
The bathtub on the 2nd floor is leaking onto the ceiling of the first floor.
I have removed enough wet drywall from that ceiling to be able to see the
bottom and the plumbing pipes of the 2nd floor bath tub. There is no water
leaking from the pipes, however when I leave the shower running for about 5
minutes water starts leakingdown on to the1st floor ceiling. I have checked
all the caulking and it does not seem to have any holes etc in it. The
shower has to be running for at least 5 to 7 minutes before it starts
leaking. Can you offer any suggestions?
Patt

You don't say what kind of shower walls you have...

When I first moved into my house, the grout between the tiles was so
porous that water seeped right through and soaked the plaster. It
usually took about 10 minutes for the leaks to appear because the
plaster would soak up a lot of the water during the early part of the
shower, or all of it if the shower was short enough. If you pushed
hard enough on the tiles you could feel the wall flexing, although
everything look normal from the tile side.

Mysterious Bathtub/shower leak [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 7th 07 12:43 AM
I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like a leak should leak. Daniel Cullpeppper Home Repair 10 April 30th 06 04:16 AM
leak in bathtub drain line Dan Home Repair 5 January 14th 06 03:56 PM
Bathtub leak Doug Home Repair 5 March 7th 05 08:49 PM
Bathtub Spigot Leak Niel Home Ownership 3 September 26th 04 04:04 PM