Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Saw Blade Recommendation

I am looking for some sort of demolition blade for my circular saw to cut
through asphalt shingles and plywood. Any recommendations?

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 10:49 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
I am looking for some sort of demolition blade for my circular saw to cut
through asphalt shingles and plywood. Any recommendations?

Mike D.

Maybe not the answer you want to hear...

I have torn down two garages, and, in both cases, I bought several
really cheap carbide blades for around $4 / each. I went through 3-4
on each project cutting the roof into reasonable pieces.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
I am looking for some sort of demolition blade for my circular saw to cut
through asphalt shingles and plywood. Any recommendations?

Mike D.

I'd recommend a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) with demolition blades. You
should be able to find a decent one for ~100. If this is for one time
use, consider renting.

Demolition blades do exist for circ. saws, but I don't know how common
they are in 7-1/4". Fire departments use these for opening up roofs --
most likely 10 or 12 inch blades in a gas powered saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 30, 10:49 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
I am looking for some sort of demolition blade for my circular saw to cut
through asphalt shingles and plywood. Any recommendations?

Mike D.

Maybe not the answer you want to hear...

Actually it was about the answer I was expecting.

I have torn down two garages, and, in both cases, I bought several
really cheap carbide blades for around $4 / each. I went through 3-4
on each project cutting the roof into reasonable pieces.

I just want to tear the shingles and plywood (or whatever) to get to the
rafters to replace, straighten them out. Roof line is heavily bowed.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in
news

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 30, 10:49 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
I am looking for some sort of demolition blade for my circular saw
to cut through asphalt shingles and plywood. Any recommendations?

Mike D.

Maybe not the answer you want to hear...

Actually it was about the answer I was expecting.

I have torn down two garages, and, in both cases, I bought several
really cheap carbide blades for around $4 / each. I went through 3-4
on each project cutting the roof into reasonable pieces.

I just want to tear the shingles and plywood (or whatever) to get to
the rafters to replace, straighten them out. Roof line is heavily
bowed.

JK

At this point do you KNOW it is the rafters?

Most often what I've seen with uneven roofs is plywood problems. It sags
between the rafters because it's thin, or it was placed/nailed too close
to the edge vs on center. The place I just finished roofing had no
spacing on some plywood ends which caused buckling. One of the planes had
no plywood spacers on the long side with tightly butted edges. Buckling
again.